This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5419 / 51°32'30"N
Longitude: -3.375 / 3°22'30"W
OS Eastings: 304738
OS Northings: 183455
OS Grid: ST047834
Mapcode National: GBR HN.G5RH
Mapcode Global: VH6DX.GH3T
Entry Name: The Guildhall
Listing Date: 18 August 2000
Last Amended: 18 August 2000
Source ID: 23943
Building Class: Civil
Location: Located on the N side of Castle Plain with the castle to the S. Pedestrian access from George Street.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Llantrisant
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The town hall was rebuilt in 1773 with a corn market beneath at the expense of the Lord of the Manor and Borough. The building formed the fourth side of a market square with stalls around the other sides. In 1896 the corn market on the lower floor was converted to a library and reading room. A C19 photograph shows the guildhall with a tall stepped side stack, now truncated.
Four-window range with lower, narrower E unit and W porch. Single storey and basement. Rendered stone under slate roofs with stone stack to E end of main range. Gabled porch with W front of dressed stone. The entrance consists of an elliptical arch of voussoirs containing late C20 steel gates reached by 9 stone steps flanked by plain iron railings. String course above and moulded kneelers to raised gable. A slate plaque attached to the top of the arch reads 'Guildhall / Rebuilt 1773'. A carriage lamp is fixed to the apex. Inside the porch, double boarded doors lead into the hall, and fixed to the N wall is an old stone tablet with arched head, inscribed 'This market place was erected for the Right Hon. John Lord Cardiff under the direction of Mr William Dav...'. A small slate plaque on the S wall is to Sir David Evans 1847-1907, Lord Mayor of London 1891-2, born at Glanmychydd Farm, Llantrisant.
The N side has 6-over-6-pane horned sash windows under segmental heads with stone sills. Aligned beneath to the basement storey, are full-height round headed openings with raised surrounds. These contain 6-over-6-pane hornless sash windows with side lights, except for the R opening which has a planked door with overlight. The narrower unit to the L has a 6-over-6-pane sash to the upper storey, to light the clerk's office.
On the S side of the porch is a small rubble lean-to with boarded door. In the centre of the S wall of the hall is a projecting side stack, now truncated to eaves level. There are no window openings. The E unit has a planked door under a segmental head to the main storey, reached by an external stone staircase. The E gable end has a small blind window with flat head and stone sill. Below is a planked door under a segmental head and a blocked window opening, reached through a small roofless brick enclosure.
The main hall has a picture rail and C20 benches flanking a central aisle. Small clerk's office and toilet in rear E unit. No internal access to basement storey, which is entered through the external N doorway. It has 4 bays divided by pilasters and moulded cross beams. Small kitchen in E unit.
Listed as a carefully designed public building retaining its character and for its historical interest.
Other nearby listed buildings