This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5405 / 51°32'25"N
Longitude: -3.3728 / 3°22'22"W
OS Eastings: 304889
OS Northings: 183297
OS Grid: ST048832
Mapcode National: GBR HP.G0BT
Mapcode Global: VH6DX.HJ9W
Entry Name: Llantrisant House
Listing Date: 18 August 2000
Last Amended: 18 August 2000
Source ID: 23947
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at the end of a driveway which runs E, off a sharp bend in the lower part of the High Street.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Built-Up Area: Llantrisant
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The house is shown on the tithe map of 1841 but in a different form. The front range is divided into 3 blocks, the central square block possibly representing an original Georgian house. The S block is still discernible and is clearly an addition. By 1885, the house had been remodelled and the plan was as today, with the addition of 2 long rear wings.
Two-storey 8-window front facing W. Rendered and lined under a hipped slate roof, with 2 stone ridge stacks and a plinth. Entrances to L and third bay from R consisting of square-headed doorcases with moulded cornices containing C20 panelled doors and overlights, that to the R half-glazed. The window openings have flat heads and stone sills with 6-over-6-pane hornless sashes. The 3-window block on the R, including the R doorway, appears to be an addition to the original house and the windows are slightly wider.
Rear ranges to L and R ends, each with a ridge stack. The N end of the front range has a tall round-headed stairlight to the L with C20 glazing and a window to the lower storey R, with stained glass. Small lean-to far L, beyond which the rear range steps in and is not visible. The S side of the house is 3-window. Double half-glazed doors to centre leading to a uPVC conservatory. Late C20 French doors to L, above which is a tripartite sash window. Sashes to R and upper storey centre. Mainly late C20 uPVC doors and windows to rear.
Partial access to interior. Inside the R doorway is a hall with round arches and moulded coving leading to a rear staircase. The wall to the L is very thick and marks an original external wall of the house. The room to the R has a decorated ceiling cornice with foliage and vines and an Adam-style fireplace. The room to the L, in the older part of the house, has a panelled ceiling.
Listed as a large early Victorian house retaining its character and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings