This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6942 / 51°41'39"N
Longitude: -2.6748 / 2°40'29"W
OS Eastings: 353452
OS Northings: 199715
OS Grid: ST534997
Mapcode National: GBR JM.4FVR
Mapcode Global: VH87F.LP81
Entry Name: Milestone 300m south of Tintern Abbey
Listing Date: 29 September 2000
Last Amended: 29 September 2000
Source ID: 24056
Building Class: Transport
Location: On the west side of the A466 about 300m south of Tintern Abbey.
Community: Tintern (Tyndyrn)
Locality: Abbey Tintern
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Wye Valley turnpike was opened in 1829 and was a vital factor in the growth in local tourism in the C19. Previously Tintern could only be reached by road from Devauden and almost all traffic was by river.
White limestone block set diagonally with the left face MONMOUTH 11 MILES and the right face CHEPSTOW 7 MILES.
Included as an early C19 turnpike milestone situated on a road opened in 1828-9 which was a key factor in the development of road vehicle borne tourist traffic in the Wye valley.
Other nearby listed buildings