This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8817 / 51°52'54"N
Longitude: -2.9346 / 2°56'4"W
OS Eastings: 335762
OS Northings: 220766
OS Grid: SO357207
Mapcode National: GBR F9.RLP3
Mapcode Global: VH78W.2YXV
Entry Name: The Granary and Barn at The Hendre
Listing Date: 19 October 2000
Last Amended: 19 October 2000
Source ID: 24197
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Approximately 1km NW of Llangattock Lingoed, at the end of a long farm track that runs S off the minor road from Cefn Campstone to Llangattock Lingoed. The barn range lies some 20m N of Hendre farmhou
Community: Grosmont (Y Grysmwnt)
Locality: Llangattock Lingoed
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A multi-phase farm range, consisting of a probably C17 corn barn with a farm range of 1751 (now known as 'the Granary') attached at right angles. In the 1990s the building was converted into a dwelling. The roofed carriageway through to the inner farmyard may once have formed a threshing floor. The NE part of the barn has C17 diamond mullions on ground and upper floors, suggesting former habitable use. From the late C17 until the early C19 The Hendre belonged to the Arnold family, and S gable bears the initials of John and Mary Arnold dated 1751.
Substantial farm range consisting of C17 barn and attached granary, forming L-shaped layout. Painted rubble stone, slate roof. N front has broad centre cart opening. To left, barn ground-floor has 6-light diamond mullion, and first floor 4-light diamond with wooden stanchions. To right, N gable of granary has upper C20 1 1 casement and on ground-floor two similar windows with timber lintels. S elevation has S gable of granary (to left). Gable head carries stone inscribed with initials J and M A dated 1751, below is C20 1 1 casement window in camber headed opening, and on ground-floor, stone stair of former granary rises to camber headed doorway with C20 glazed double doors. To right of gable, set back at far end of yard, is S side of barn. Barn S wall (to right) has first-floor C20 1 1 casement, and ground floor doorway with boarded door. The long E wall of the granary faces into the yard and has, on first floor, four segmental arched voussoired windows with C20 1 1 pane casements and, on ground floor, a broader voussoired opening with C20 glazed doors. Under the cart opening, the upper walls are timber framed with three tall posts and C20 glazing, and on the ground floor is a flat headed doorway with boarded door.
Limited access at time of resurvey. Interior formerly had two upper floors.
Unusually large C18 former granary and barn range. Group value with the farmhouse at The Hendre.
Other nearby listed buildings