History in Structure

Capel y Ton

A Grade II Listed Building in Tonyrefail, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5841 / 51°35'2"N

Longitude: -3.4294 / 3°25'46"W

OS Eastings: 301056

OS Northings: 188213

OS Grid: ST010882

Mapcode National: GBR HL.CJ2D

Mapcode Global: VH6DP.HGV0

Plus Code: 9C3RHHMC+J6

Entry Name: Capel y Ton

Listing Date: 19 October 2000

Last Amended: 19 October 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24274

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Also known as: Capel-y-Ton Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel

ID on this website: 300024274

Location: Prominently located in the centre of Tonyrefail. Set back behind forecourt walls and railings within a graveyard containing numerous monuments.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Porth

Community: Tonyrefail

Community: Tonyrefail

Built-Up Area: Tonyrefail

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Chapel

Find accommodation in
Gilfach Gôch


Calvinistic Methodist chapel built in 1863 and renovated in 1905. It succeeded a chapel of 1791 which was located elsewhere in Tonyrefail. There were 300 members in 1904.


Chapel in minimal classical style. Single range with 3-bay 2-storey gable-end facade. Rendered and whitened under a slate roof on a coursed stone plinth, with pale stone dressings. Detail includes quoin strips, rusticated to the lower storey and with recessed panels to the upper storey, a plat band at 1st floor level, and a simple moulded band defining the gable. A central gabled stone doorcase with kneelers and dressed stone quoins appears to have been added in 1905. It contains a round-arched doorway with hoodmould and tall keystone, under which are double panelled doors and an overlight with radial and margin glazing. The entrance is flanked by segmental-headed windows with eared architraves. The upper storey has 3 small windows with round-arched heads and raised surrounds, a plain sill band and plain impost band. All the front windows are cross-windows retaining their original small panes, radial glazing under the arches and coloured margin glazing. In the gable is a rectangular tablet with moulded surround inscribed 'Methodist / Chapel Erected / 1863'. Beneath is a further tablet on 2 corbels reading 'Adnewyddwyd 1905'.

The plat band at 1st floor level continues around the sides of the chapel which are 3-window. The windows have round-arched heads to the upper storey and segmental heads below and contain horned sash windows with margin glazing. The rear wall has 2 small vents to the outer sides of the gable.


Narrow entrance vestibule with stairs to either side leading to gallery. Panelled doors leading into chapel, between which is a 6-light window with Art Nouveau stained glass. Coloured tile floor and ceiling rose with foliage decoration. In the chapel is a 3-sided gallery on narrow cast iron columns with necking rings. Wooden gallery front with recessed panels and gold paint, with dentilled frieze to underside. Deep gallery with 5 rows of panelled pews. Three banks of planked pews with carved bench ends below. Octagonal wooden pulpit with recessed panels including pilasters and round arches to the front. Straight stairs to either side with moulded balustrades and large newel posts with circle designs to faces. Panelled set fawr in front. On the wall behind the pulpit is a moulded plaster arch with round head set between pilasters with recessed panels and capitals with dentils and bosses. These support a broken segmental pediment, through which a stylised finial rises. Within the arch is a marble wall tablet with pointed arched head to the preacher William Evans of Tonyrefail (born 1795). Flanking the central archway are 2 blind round arches, the mouldings with foliate bosses, which sit on a band at gallery level. These appear to have been windows originally. Moulded plaster coving with flower bosses and margin ceiling panelling, inside which is a wood panelled surround. There are 3 highly ornate ceiling roses, that to the centre the largest with concentric bands of flowers and foliage. Small marble tablet on E wall, a 1914-18 war memorial, and marble tablet on W wall to Margaret Edwards of Porthcawl (d.1905).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved chapel of late classical type with elaborate interior detail. In a prominent position in the village.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.