History in Structure

Treferig Isha

A Grade II Listed Building in Tonyrefail, Rhondda Cynon Taff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5708 / 51°34'14"N

Longitude: -3.3855 / 3°23'7"W

OS Eastings: 304070

OS Northings: 186681

OS Grid: ST040866

Mapcode National: GBR HN.D93N

Mapcode Global: VH6DQ.8SK5

Plus Code: 9C3RHJC7+8Q

Entry Name: Treferig Isha

Listing Date: 19 October 2000

Last Amended: 19 October 2000

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24276

Building Class: Domestic

ID on this website: 300024276

Location: Located off the E side of a track just N of the Nant Muchudd.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Porth

Community: Tonyrefail

Community: Tonyrefail

Locality: Castellau

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


A roof truss in the kitchen wing is dated 1609 and may date the whole house, although a house at Treferig Isaf is first mentioned in 1570 when it was held by John ap Jenkin. It has a lobby-entry plan-form, was probably 2-unit, with a 2-and-a-half-storeyed porch and rear kitchen wing. The hall is the largest sub-medieval hall in Glamorgan. The unit or byre to the W of the hall is no longer extant, although traces are said to remain below ground. In the late C17, the house was owned by John Bevan, a descendent of John ap Jenkin, who became a quaker. He gave land nearby for the construction of a quaker meeting house (now ruined), and then emigrated to Pensylvania, returning in 1704 to consolidate the quaker movement in the area. Quaker meetings were also held in the house.


The house originally faced S, the entrance through an exceptionally large 2-and-a-half storeyed porch. Probably when the W unit of the house was destroyed, the porch openings were infilled and a new entrance was made into the W side of the house, to the R of the hall fireplace. The front elevation now consists of the side of the porch, the hall to the L which is slightly set back, and a single storey kitchen wing further L and set back. This also has an entrance. The house is constructed of rubble stone, rendered to the front and rear, under slate roofs. Stone stack to front gable of hall, and stone end stack to kitchen wing. The first floor of the porch unit has a 2-light multi-pane casement under a dripstone. The current front entrance consists of a C20 door under a small open lean-to porch with corrugated roof. Just around the NW angle of the hall is a tiny rectangular stairlight at ground floor level. The front of the kitchen wing has a door to the R and window with timber lintel to the L, both later C20.

A single-storey shed with open W front and corrugated iron roof has been built up against the S face of the porch which is of rubble stone. The doorway is under a Tudor arch of voussoirs. The window above has a similar head whilst the attic storey has a small square window under a dripstone. All these openings are infilled with stone. The rear of the hall has a 3-light multi-pane casement under a triangular head offset to the L. The upper storey has a small 2-light casement to the centre and a single-pane window to its R. The S face of the hall retains a timber 3-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window to the upper storey, the earliest dated example in Glamorgan. Offset below is a casement window with a segmental yellow brick head. To the ground floor of the porch is a partially blocked flat-headed 3-light window with hoodmould. The rear side of the kitchen wing contains a C20 multi-pane window to the centre under a long timber lintel (formerly a door). Small later C20 addition to N end.


The kitchen unit has a joist-beam ceiling, the 5 small chamfered beams with broach stops. To the L is a fireplace with timber lintel. The hall is entered from the kitchen unit and has 3 deeply chamfered cross beams with broach stops and square joists. The fireplace is infilled under a mantlepiece. To its R is a doorway, now leading into a cupboard, with a highly ornate timber head. Immediately to its R is a 2nd timber doorway leading to cross-corner stone stairs. It has a chamfered Tudor-arched head. In the SW corner of the room is a planked L-shaped screen, forming a lobby behind the W entrance. A doorway also leads S into the former porch from the lobby (not seen). The ceiling of the porch is said to have ogee-ovolo moulded beams with curved stops.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an exceptional house of this early period which has few alterations, except for the historical loss of one unit, and retains fine architectural detail. Additional historic interest derived from the establishment of the Quaker movement in the area.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.