This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.053 / 53°3'10"N
Longitude: -3.3973 / 3°23'50"W
OS Eastings: 306438
OS Northings: 351548
OS Grid: SJ064515
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.CP89
Mapcode Global: WH77M.SJFC
Entry Name: Ffynnon Sara
Listing Date: 30 October 2000
Last Amended: 30 October 2000
Source ID: 24347
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: 1 km north west of Derwen church, in as small roadside enclosure with perimeter wall and gate.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Ffynnon Sara or Sarah (also named Fynnon Pyllau Perl by Edward Lhuyd in 1698) is close to the ancient road through North Wales from Bala to Holywell. The water of the well was reputed to be effective in the cure of cancer, stone and rheumatism. Pins were offered. The origin of the name is obscure, Sara possibly having been the name of a custodian living in the adjacent cottage, where crutches were often left. The cottage, which stood at the roadside, was burned down in about 1860. In c1900 Thomas described the well as 'a large square bath of rude masonry, the bottom of which is reached by steps.'
The well was restored by the rector of Derwen, the Rev. J P Cooke, in 1972-3.
A shallow stone-lined bath about 4.3 by 2.4 metres, sunk into the ground except at one end where the water overflows over a low sill to the adjacent stream. To one side at the opposite end is a short flight of stone steps from a small kerb-surrounded paved area. The water trickles in at a concealed point, and would be about 0.3 m deep if full to the overflow level. Although restored, the well matches an earlier description.
A restored well on an ancient pilgrimage route, long credited with healing properties.
Other nearby listed buildings