History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mertyn Downing

A Grade II Listed Building in Mostyn, Flintshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2996 / 53°17'58"N

Longitude: -3.2576 / 3°15'27"W

OS Eastings: 316280

OS Northings: 378810

OS Grid: SJ162788

Mapcode National: GBR 5ZP8.JW

Mapcode Global: WH76J.XBX9

Plus Code: 9C5R7PXR+RW

Entry Name: Mertyn Downing

Listing Date: 22 October 1952

Last Amended: 28 March 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24439

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Set back on the W side of a minor road approximately 0.9km SW of Mostyn church.

County: Flintshire

Community: Mostyn

Community: Mostyn

Locality: Mertyn Downing

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Llannerch-y-môr

History

The house bears a date stone of 1642 now concealed behind the pebble-dashed front. It was probably originally a 2-unit house but was improved in 1675, the date on the present doorway. The accompanying monogram 'RKP' probably refers to the Pennant family. At this time the imposing parlour chimneypiece was inserted. The Tithe map of 1849 suggests that the rear originally had a large stair projection. A rear wing was added, possibly in more than one phase, taking its present form in the third quarter of the C19, although a lean-to was added later. During this time the original stair was replaced. The main range was also extended to the R in the C19 and the roof replaced with shallower pitch. In the 1940s the original mullioned windows were removed and were replaced by metal-framed windows. The original window dressings were retained, however, and have been used as kerb stones for a path on the front and side of the house.

Exterior

A 2-storey 3-window house facing E, of pebble-dashed walls, slate roof with a tall central ridge stack, and a smaller C19 stack to the R end. The central doorway in a dressed stone surround has a Tudor head, above which is engraved 1675 RKP, while a former hood mould survives partially, having been mostly removed and obscured by the pebble dash. The doorway has an early C18 door with fielded panels. The windows are inserted mid C20 metal-framed casements. In the R (N) gable end is a 2-light casement in the upper storey. The rear of the main range has late C19 windows, including a C19 2-light casement to the larder lower L, a 12-pane horizontal-sliding sash window upper L and a 9-pane sash window to the centre. Offset to the R is the gabled rear wing, which has an end stack. On the N side is a single-storey lean-to with 3 boarded doors, of which the R-hand was to the bake house, which retains a small 2-light window further R and a reduced stack. Above the lean-to is a fixed small-pane metal-framed window lighting the stair. The S side wall has 2 mid C19 9-pane hornless sash windows in the lower storey and an inserted metal-framed window above.

Interior

The house has a lobby-entry plan with back-to-back fireplaces. The room on the L side of the entrance has a stone chimneypiece, probably of 1675, which has an ovolo-moulded surround and a lintel projecting on corbels, above which is a wave-moulded cornice beneath the ceiling. This room also retains a joist-beam ceiling with run-out stops. The room to the R has a plainer but large fireplace with timber lintel, probably of 1642. An additional unit at the R end is C19 and has thinner walls. It incorporates a larder with flagstone floor. The staircase in the rear wing has winders at the top and a landing with plain newels and balusters, of the mid C19. In the upper storey the corridor is also a mid C19 alteration, from which period date most of the present boarded doors with Norfolk latches.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a substantial sub-medieval house retaining C17 plan form and interior detail.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Mertyn Isaf
    Beyond the N end of Llwyn Ifor Lane on a hillside overlooking Llanerch-y-mor, approximately 1km S of Mostyn church.
  • II Former Coach House Range at Downing Hall
    To the NE of Whitford in wooded parkland immediately SW of the site of Downing Hall. Reached along a driveway off a lane between Whitford and Mostyn. This range faces S into the stable yard.
  • II Penrho Hall
    Set back in its own grounds near the E end of Gwibnant.
  • II Main Range to W side of former Stable Courtyard at Downing Hall
    To the NE of Whitford in wooded parkland immediately SW of the site of Downing Hall. Reached along a driveway off a lane between Whitford and Mostyn. This range faces E.
  • II Christ Church
    Reached by a narrow lane off S side of A548. Located in a large rectangular churchyard sloping up to S, surrounded by a coursed stone wall with saddleback coping. Entrance to W, tall moulded piers w
  • II Plassau
    At the end of a farm track 1.4km S of Mostyn church, and built across a sloping site overlooking Llanerch-y-mor.
  • II Clocktower Hall
    To SE of Mostyn village. Gable end facade to road with entrance and car park to E.
  • II Farm Building at Mertyn Abbot
    Barn close to the NE angle of the house and facing S. Adjoining to the R are mid C19 ranges, now altered, which partly enclose a former farmyard and include a cart-shed facing S.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.