This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8598 / 51°51'35"N
Longitude: -4.5526 / 4°33'9"W
OS Eastings: 224318
OS Northings: 220990
OS Grid: SN243209
Mapcode National: GBR D4.T1D4
Mapcode Global: VH2NX.1JK4
Entry Name: Rhydyceisiaid Independent Chapel with vestry and attached railings.
Listing Date: 30 November 2000
Last Amended: 30 November 2000
Source ID: 24442
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on the SE side of the valley of the Afon Fenni some 1.2km NW of the centre of the village of Llangynin
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Independent chapel rebuilt in 1857 for £300. The cause began in 1707 founded from Henllan Amgoed, the first chapel being built in 1724. The chapel was replaced in 1777 with a building 13.7m by 5.2m. The present chapel opened 26-27 January 1858.
Chapel, C20 dry-dash cladding and painted stone window heads. Hipped slate roof with flat eaves, square plan. Front has 2 long small-paned arched windows, one each side of arched door, all with cut stone voussoirs and keystones to arches. Double diagonally-boarded doors, late C19 or early C20. Door fanlight and window heads have Gothick-type intersecting tracery. Small plaque to centre: `Rhydyceisiad Chapel Built in the year 1707 Rebuilt in 1777 Rebuilt and enlarged 1857, renovated 1911'. Left window is full 4x8 pane length, right window is part-obscured by added C19 vestry gabled parallel to facade. Two-storey, two-window left side with 16-pane sashes and exposed stone voussoirs. Rear wall has two long arched windows similar to those on front with cut-stone painted arches. Windows are 4x6 panes the sills having been raised. Right side has similar 2-storey, 2-window range but without exposed window heads.
Vestry is on two levels due to fall in ground. Gable overlooking chapel court has overhanging verges, centre 16-pane window and door to right. Side wall has centre 16-pane window and basement door to left. Right end gable has 16-pane sash, lean-to on rear. Attached to vestry is terrace railing with low iron rails, urn stanchions and iron lamp standard at far end by gate which has 2 limestone pillars and double iron gate with spearhead rails and dogbars.
Square plan interior originally plastered throughout, plaster removed on rear wall and side walls under galleries. Boarded dados. Three-sided gallery on 5 fluted cast-iron columns with Corinthian capitals. Gallery fronts with bracket cornice under long horizontal panels. Painted box pews with shaped bench ends and panel backs, in 3 blocks. Square enclosures each side of pulpit with benches around. Lobby with door each side and square 12-pane window.
Pulpit has curved canted front with balusters each side of centre, which has two arched panels with fretwork detail. Steps up each side. Below pulpit is attached seat with arm-rests. Painted boarded ceiling.
Included as a good example of the last phase of the Georgian type of chapel, with fine interior painted woodwork.