This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2252 / 53°13'30"N
Longitude: -2.9989 / 2°59'55"W
OS Eastings: 333411
OS Northings: 370260
OS Grid: SJ334702
Mapcode National: GBR 75.0XQ5
Mapcode Global: WH885.X64B
Entry Name: North Pair of Aircraft Hangars
Listing Date: 29 January 2001
Last Amended: 24 August 2005
Source ID: 24541
Building Class: Defence
Location: Located towards the SE corner of Deeside Industrial Park and reached off the B5441. The northernmost of 2 pairs of hangars.
Built-Up Area: Deeside Industrial Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
One of 3 pairs of First World War aircraft hangars, built in 1918. In 1917, the Royal Flying Corps took over the private flying school of T Murray Dutton, south of the railway line, and developed the site north of the line as a depot for service and repair of aircraft. The hangars would have accommodated up to 30 small aircraft.
The Belfast roof trusses, made by Anderson & Co, in Belfast, use a lattice of short lengths of thin softwood timbers in order to bridge large spans by lightweight trusses of low quality timber, saving costs.
Attached pair of aircraft hangars. Brick walling, paired broad segmental roofs in corrugated material. The side walls (to E & W) consist of stepped brick piers, between which are 15 bays of rendered walling with metal small pane windows at high level in each bay; the side (E & W) elevations have single storey brick built lean-to sheds that are centrally located on each elevation. Other short lengths of taller lean-to sheds are also located on the side (W) elevation.
The entrance sides (to N and S) have fixed metal sheeting replacing original sliding doors; the sheeting has smaller metal sliding doors to each hangar at the S end. At each end of the entrance sides is a brick built housing for sliding doors consisting of 2 tall brick arches between buttresses.
The curved Belfast type lattice roof trusses are borne on brick piers; the trusses are braced longitudinally with tie-beams and braces, with zig-zag bracing in end bays. The central wall of the hangar, dividing the pair, consists of brick piers, connected by a brick wall with segmental relieving arches. The entrance end sheeting is supported by wooden framework with metal bracing.
Listed as amongst the earliest purpose-built structures associated with military aviation in Wales, and for the technology of their Belfast roof trusses.
Other nearby listed buildings