This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2244 / 53°13'27"N
Longitude: -3.0027 / 3°0'9"W
OS Eastings: 333150
OS Northings: 370170
OS Grid: SJ331701
Mapcode National: GBR 75.0WMW
Mapcode Global: WH885.V69Z
Entry Name: West Pair of Aircraft Hangars
Listing Date: 29 January 2001
Last Amended: 24 August 2005
Source ID: 24539
Building Class: Defence
Location: Located towards the SE corner of Deeside Industrial Park and reached off the B5441. About 150m N of the railway line, and adjacent to a later Type 'C' hangar.
Built-Up Area: Deeside Industrial Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
One of 3 pairs of First World War aircraft hangars, built in 1918. In 1917, the Royal Flying Corps took over the private flying school of T Murray Dutton, south of the railway line, and developed the site north of the line as a depot for service and repair of aircraft. The hangars would have accommodated up to 30 small aircraft.
The Belfast roof trusses, made by Anderson & Co, in Belfast, use a lattice of short lengths of thin softwood timbers in order to bridge large spans by lightweight trusses of low quality timber, saving costs.
Attached pair of aircraft hangars. Brick walling, paired broad segmental roofs in corrugated material. The side walls (to N and S) consist of stepped brick piers, between which are 15 bays of rendered walling with metal small pane windows at high level in each bay; the side (N & S) elevations have single storey brick built lean-to sheds that are centrally located on each elevation. Other short lengths of taller lean-to sheds are also located on the side (S) elevation with roof which slopes from the eaves of the main hangar building.
The entrance sides (to E and W) retain, at E end of S hangar a set of original sliding metal doors suspended from tracks at eaves. The other doors have been replaced by fixed metal sheeting. At each end of the entrance sides is a brick built housing for sliding doors consisting of 2 tall brick arches between buttresses (the NE of these has been removed).
The curved Belfast type lattice roof trusses are borne on brick piers; the trusses are braced longitudinally with tie-beams and braces, with zigzag bracing in end bays. The central wall of the hangar, dividing the pair, consists of brick piers, connected by a brick wall with segmental relieving arches. The entrance end sheeting is supported by wooden framework with metal bracing.
Listed as amongst the earliest purpose-built structures associated with military aviation in Wales, and for the technology of the Belfast roof trusses.
Other nearby listed buildings