This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3323 / 53°19'56"N
Longitude: -4.3308 / 4°19'51"W
OS Eastings: 244884
OS Northings: 384243
OS Grid: SH448842
Mapcode National: GBR HMPW.T2L
Mapcode Global: WH42F.FHXR
Entry Name: Clorach-fawr
Listing Date: 21 February 2001
Last Amended: 21 February 2001
Source ID: 24830
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the N side of a country road leading E off the B5111 at the E end of the village of Llanerchymedd; c1.25km SE of the Church of St Dyfrydog.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Early C19 house and cottage range, a stone inscribed with the date 1826 is to the R of the cottage doorway.
Clorach was a bond vill which, in 1294, contained some two and a half carucates (60.75 hectares) of arable land. This land was organised as tir cyfrif and thus was shared on a per capita basis among the adult male inhabitants of the vill, but before 1282 the land and its tenants had been granted to two prominent freemen in return for a nominal rent of half a mark. In subsequent centuries the consolidation and enclosure of the arable was delayed, possibly as a result of the convergence of rival interest, and by the C17 the land was a mass of intermingled quillets. By the C19 the lands were consolidated into 2 main farms: Clorach-fawr, containing 155 acres(62.78 hectares) owned by the Marquis of Anglesey, and Clorach-bach, 55 acres(22.28 hectares) owned by Sir Richard Bulkeley. In the Census returns of 1841 Clorach-fawr was farmed by Edward Jones, who employed 4 agricultural labourers and 2 female servants.
Linear farmhouse range comprising 2-storey 3-window farmhouse, with 2-storey 2-window cottage in alignment at the N end; principal elevation facing E. Built of rubble masonry, limewashed, ground floor with rough stone voussoirs over openings. Roof of small slates, rough stone gable stacks and ridge stack between the 2 properties. The house has a central entrance under a shallow rectangular fanlight and flanking 16-pane hornless sash windows; tall, 12-pane horizontally sliding sash windows set directly under the eaves above. The cottage has a boarded door offset to the L (S) with a stone to the R inscribed with the date 1826. A plinth of c0.5m runs to the R of the doorway and there is a single window to each floor; horizontally sliding sashes, 16-pane ground floor and 12-pane 1st floor, set directly under the eaves.
Interior could not be inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed as a good early C19 farmhouse and cottage, with strong local vernacular character and retaining much exterior detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings