This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3315 / 53°19'53"N
Longitude: -4.3331 / 4°19'59"W
OS Eastings: 244728
OS Northings: 384160
OS Grid: SH447841
Mapcode National: GBR HMNW.ZWG
Mapcode Global: WH42F.DJTB
Entry Name: Clorach-bach
Listing Date: 21 February 2001
Last Amended: 21 February 2001
Source ID: 24831
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the S side of a country road leading E off the B5111 out of Llanerchymedd towards Benllech. Clorach-bach is S of the junction with Lon Leidr to S of Llandyfrydog.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Traditional County: Anglesey
Mid C19 farmhouse built by the Bulkeley estate, dated 1842 by an inscribed stone shield over the door bearing: R B W B / 1842.
Clorach was a bond vill which, in 1294, contained some two and a half carucates (60.75 hectares) of arable land. This land was organised as tir cyfrif and thus was shared on a per capita basis among the adult male inhabitants of the vill, but before 1282 the land and its tenants had been granted to tow prominent freemen in return for a nominal rent of half a mark. In subsequent centuries the consolidation and enclosure of the arable was delayed, possibly as a result of the convergence of rival interest, and by the C17 the land was a mass of intermingled quillets. By the C19 the lands were consolidated into 2 main farms: Clorach-fawr, containing 155 acres(62.78 hectares) owned by the Marquis of Anglesey, and Clorach-bach, 55 acres(22.28 hectares) owned by Sir Richard Bulkeley. At the time that the house was built Clorach-bach was farmed by Robert Roberts, and in the Census returns for the parish, 1841, he lived on the farm with his wife, 3 children and one female servant.
Mid C19 farmhouse, a 2-storey, 3-window range with single storey service wing to rear. The principal elevation is built of dressed and coursed limestone; the remainder of rubble. Roof of small slates, with stone coping and dressed gable stacks with capping. The central doorway has a shallow rectangular fanlight, with a shield over bearing the initials and the date: R B W B / 1842. Flanking windows are 16-pane hornless sashes, 1st floor has 12-pane windows set directly under the eaves.
The single storey service wing has rendered elevations and a slate roof with rendered gable stack. There is a modern porch built in the angle between the main house and rear wing.
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey.
Listed as a good mid C19 estate-built farmhouse, with the formal elevation of dressed and coursed stone characteristic of estate work of the period.
Other nearby listed buildings