History in Structure

Bridge over Glamorganshire Canal W of Newbridge Chainworks basin

A Grade II Listed Building in Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.6023 / 51°36'8"N

Longitude: -3.3312 / 3°19'52"W

OS Eastings: 307898

OS Northings: 190111

OS Grid: ST078901

Mapcode National: GBR HQ.BBSK

Mapcode Global: VH6DK.6ZSK

Plus Code: 9C3RJM29+WG

Entry Name: Bridge over Glamorganshire Canal W of Newbridge Chainworks basin

Listing Date: 26 February 2001

Last Amended: 26 February 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 24856

Building Class: Transport

ID on this website: 300024856

Location: On the S side of Ynysangharad Road and to the rear of the Bunch of Grapes public house.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Community: Pontypridd

Locality: Pentrebach

Built-Up Area: Pontypridd

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Tagged with: Bridge

Find accommodation in


The Glamorganshire Canal Act was passed in 1790 and the canal opened in 1794 from Merthyr Tydfil to Cardiff, primarily to serve the growing output of the ironworks at Merthyr Tydfil. Its engineers were Thomas Dadford and Thomas Sheasby. The steep gradient between Merthyr and Cardiff - a fall of 165.5m in 40.2km - was overcome by erecting 51 locks, instead of the inclined planes favoured on other canals. These included a triple lock at Nantgarw (which has not survived) and the double lock at Pontypridd. The rapid growth in output of iron soon led to congestion on the canal, however, but the large volume of trade from the ironworks ensured that the canal survived the opening of the Taff Vale Railway in 1841. Traffic declined sharply when the ironworks declined in the late C19 and coal companies preferred rail transport. The upper section N of Pontypridd was almost disused by the late C19, but the section between Nantgarw and Pontypridd did not close until a breach at Nantgarw in 1942.


A rubble sandstone bridge with a single segmental arch. A plain parapet has hammer-dressed flat copings, and is splayed out at the ends to simple square piers. The parapet is removed on the N side facing the double lock. The deck is laid with concrete steps and descends steeply from E-W. A late C20 garden wall is built across the E side of the deck abutting the parapet wall.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for industrial archaeological interest as one of the few surviving bridges on the original Glamorganshire Canal.

Group value with Locks 31 & 32 and the Newbridge Chainworks canal basin.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.