This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.799 / 51°47'56"N
Longitude: -4.532 / 4°31'55"W
OS Eastings: 225501
OS Northings: 214179
OS Grid: SN255141
Mapcode National: GBR D5.XSLJ
Mapcode Global: VH2P9.D1GR
Entry Name: Picton House
Listing Date: 9 March 2001
Last Amended: 9 March 2001
Source ID: 24960
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on the W side of the A477 on the S edge of Llanddowror village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Earlier C19 house in unusual Georgian Gothic style, perhaps by John Philipps of Tavernspite whose houses of about 1840 such as Dolwilym and Glyntaf near Llanboidy had similarities. The house was owned by the Philipps family of Picton Castle apparently since the C16 and presumably was rebuilt by the estate c1840. Occupied by Brigadier-General G.F. W. St John in 1926. The Picton House Hotel since later C20.
House, painted roughcast with slate roof overhanging at gables and no chimneys. Two storeys, 3-window range of large sash windows with marginal glazing bars, 12-pane above and 16-pane below. Slate sills. Centre arched door with radiating-bar fanlight, behind later glazed outer door and fanlight on wall-face. Stucco plinth, broad raised angle pier each side with ground floor blank Gothic panel and first floor inset cross. Right end wall has one small 6-pane sash with marginal glazing set to right over added gabled porch with angle piers, arch and thin impost band. Small fixed window each side. Within, arched door with radiating-bar fan over heavy 6-panel door with iron studs. Left end is stuccoed on right but slate-hung to the rest with added late C19 square bay window with hipped slate roof. Long 2-storey lower NW rear wing, the first bay slate-hung with long stair-light over low basement door. Stepped joint to the rest, which is stuccoed and altered with brick ridge and end stacks. Two square windows over ground floor long C20 metal window, then 4-pane sash each floor, then last bay steps forward with similar sash each floor.
Outshut rear to original house and added single storey NE rear wing.
Interior not available for inspection.
Included as a village house of unusual type, with Gothic detail associated with gentry houses of the earlier C19.
Other nearby listed buildings