This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8796 / 51°52'46"N
Longitude: -4.5942 / 4°35'39"W
OS Eastings: 221533
OS Northings: 223300
OS Grid: SN215233
Mapcode National: GBR D2.RP37
Mapcode Global: VH2NW.B02W
Entry Name: Ysgol Gynradd Llanboidy
Listing Date: 6 August 2001
Last Amended: 6 August 2001
Source ID: 25619
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated on the W side of the road some 100m NW of the parish church.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Primary School built 1863-4 as the National School for £1,250, at the expense of W.R.H. Powell of Maesgwynne. Sold in 1875 to the Llanboidy and Llangan School Board.
Primary school, rubble stone with sandstone dressings and slate overhanging roofs. T-plan, the main classroom range to the back and a gable flanked by timber lean-to porches coming forward to the street. Brick ridge stack on the front range. Front gable has curved and carved bargeboards, a small hip at the gable apex with slates carried down over a square pent roof that shelters the school bell, and is carried on 2 diagonal struts. Sandstone quoins and surround with keystone to big segmental pointed centre window of 3 pointed lights with small paned glazing. One original transom and a second over 3 casements where window has been lowered. Side porches are timber lean-tos with C20 doors, pointed traceried fanlights and glass in triangles above. Left side is obscured by C20 brick addition. Right side is rubble stone under red brick with windows, all later infill. Back range has similar big single segmental-pointed arched window in each gable end, 3-light with pointed heads to upper lights, small-paned glazing and transom, but the sills not lowered. Rear wall has 4 segmental pointed arched windows with brick heads, 2-light with centre mullion, transom, small-paned glazing and arched heads to the top lights.
Altered in C20 with suspended ceilings.
Included as a Victorian school of simple character but unusual detail, as built for the Maesgwynne estate..
Other nearby listed buildings