History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Penygraig

A Grade II Listed Building in Erwood, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0644 / 52°3'51"N

Longitude: -3.2993 / 3°17'57"W

OS Eastings: 311027

OS Northings: 241463

OS Grid: SO110414

Mapcode National: GBR YT.D087

Mapcode Global: VH6BF.RCNS

Entry Name: Penygraig

Listing Date: 3 August 2001

Last Amended: 3 August 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25672

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated at top of steep track from Trericket Mill.

County: Powys

Town: Builth Wells

Community: Erwood (Errwd)

Community: Erwood

Locality: Trericket

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanstephan

History

Farmhouse dated 1845 but marked on the Crickadarn Tithe map of 1842 as Pencraig, a holding of 36 acres (14.57 hectares) owned by John Powell and occupied by Roger Powell.

Exterior

Farmhouse, colourwashed roughcast rubble stone with slate roof and rendered end stacks. Two-storey, three-window range of sash windows with cambered heads and stone sills. Four-pane sashes upstairs and 12-pane below, centre door with overlight. Left end wall has 4-pane sash to right, and 4-pane sash each floor on end wall of outshut. Outshut has big chimney on roof slope to right, and centre stair window. Eroded datestone on left chimney.

Interior

Interior not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well-preserved farmhouse of 1845 in regional late Georgian style with symmetrical front and long outshut rear roof over dairy and scullery rooms.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Barn range at Penygraig
    Situated across the yard to W and at right angles to farmhouse at Penygraig.
  • II* Trericket Mill
    Situated 3.2 km N of Llyswen village, below the main road at the border between Bronllys and Erwood Communities, and Brecknock and Radnor Districts. Besides the Sgithen Brook.
  • II Outbuilding at Hafod y Garreg
    Situated across lower end of yard at Hafod-y-Garreg.
  • II* Hafod y Garreg
    Situated across field from Penygraig, reached by track from just N of Trericket Mill.
  • II Barn range at Hafod y Garreg
    Situated across yard to W of the farmhouse at Hafod y Garreg.
  • II Milestone at Keepers' Cottage
    Located at the back of the road verge against the driveway to Keeper's Cottage, close to the parish boundary between Llyswen and Llandefalle parishes
  • II Dol-wen
    Located above the valley floor, just above the junction with the road from Llanstephen with the road on the left bank of the Wye. The house is on a platform site with the earlier end uphill.
  • II Church of St Stephen (also known as Steffan and Istyffan)
    Located near the crest of the hill, with extensive views SE over the valley of the Wye, and is set towards the N end of its large ovoid churchyard.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.