History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn range at Penygraig

A Grade II Listed Building in Erwood, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0644 / 52°3'51"N

Longitude: -3.2996 / 3°17'58"W

OS Eastings: 311003

OS Northings: 241465

OS Grid: SO110414

Mapcode National: GBR YT.D04Y

Mapcode Global: VH6BF.RCGS

Entry Name: Barn range at Penygraig

Listing Date: 3 August 2001

Last Amended: 3 August 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25673

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated across the yard to W and at right angles to farmhouse at Penygraig.

County: Powys

Town: Builth Wells

Community: Erwood (Errwd)

Community: Erwood

Locality: Trericket

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanstephan

History

Barn and lofted cow-house in line, the cow-house down-hill of the barn, possibly contemporary with the farmhouse of 1845, but barn pegged oak roof trusses appear more probably late C18. Shown on the Crickadarn Tithe map of 1842.

Exterior

Outbuildings, rubble stone with corrugated iron roof to barn and asbestos sheet roof to lofted cowhouse. Barn has centre doors under raised eaves with catslide roof, two vent loops to left, one to right and a cart-entry with timber lintel (under eaves due to slope of ground). Loft door in upper end wall. Lower end wall has weatherboard in gable, and attached lofted cowhouse. This has 2 doors to right and one to left with timber lintels, the door heads stepping down-hill. Under eaves just right of left door is a square loft opening.

Interior

Four-bay barn roof with tie-beam and collar trusses and triple purlins. Loft over cart-shed to right. Cow-shed has centre feed-passage.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a fine traditional range of farm buildings, of group value with the farmhouse at Penygraig.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Penygraig
    Situated at top of steep track from Trericket Mill.
  • II Outbuilding at Hafod y Garreg
    Situated across lower end of yard at Hafod-y-Garreg.
  • II* Hafod y Garreg
    Situated across field from Penygraig, reached by track from just N of Trericket Mill.
  • II Barn range at Hafod y Garreg
    Situated across yard to W of the farmhouse at Hafod y Garreg.
  • II* Trericket Mill
    Situated 3.2 km N of Llyswen village, below the main road at the border between Bronllys and Erwood Communities, and Brecknock and Radnor Districts. Besides the Sgithen Brook.
  • II Milestone at Keepers' Cottage
    Located at the back of the road verge against the driveway to Keeper's Cottage, close to the parish boundary between Llyswen and Llandefalle parishes
  • II Dol-wen
    Located above the valley floor, just above the junction with the road from Llanstephen with the road on the left bank of the Wye. The house is on a platform site with the earlier end uphill.
  • II Church of St Stephen (also known as Steffan and Istyffan)
    Located near the crest of the hill, with extensive views SE over the valley of the Wye, and is set towards the N end of its large ovoid churchyard.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.