This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0378 / 52°2'16"N
Longitude: -4.4123 / 4°24'44"W
OS Eastings: 234636
OS Northings: 240458
OS Grid: SN346404
Mapcode National: GBR DB.FS6G
Mapcode Global: VH3KN.G1RN
Plus Code: 9C4Q2HQQ+43
Entry Name: Dolhaidd Mansion
Listing Date: 15 August 2001
Last Amended: 25 April 2003
Source ID: 25726
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At the end of a private access road leading roughly NW from the A484 trunk road
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
The property was purchased by David Lewis of Llysnewydd, Sheriff of Carmarthenshire in 1715, mayor of Cardigan in 1736, from David Havard. The first house on the site was said to have been built by Havard''''s grandfather, also David Havard. David Edward Lewes Lloyd of Dolhaidd was High Sheriff of Cardiganshire for 1777, and died in July 1818 aged 67. The house is marked on the 1838 Tithe Map as owned and occupied by James Richard Lewes Lloyd, for whom much of the house was probably rebuilt. James Lewes Lloyd died on 11th July 1858 aged 75. In later C19 the property was rented out. About the year 1859, the Elliot family, tenants, conducted some alterations, including the remodelling of the facade range, adding decorative ironwork and dormer windows. Captain Arthur Connop Newland was the occupier here in 1875, and was still resident in 1910. During his tenure, the building probably underwent a further remodelling of the rear ranges.
Large country house, externally of mainly C19 date but of multi-phase construction. The front range appears to predate the remainder. Stucco rendered with pitched slated roofs with gablets and red brick stacks, and mainly 12-pane replacement uPVC sashes. Front range is 2 storey, 4-window. Raised stucco quoins to angles, and plinth. Centre 2 bays have ornate cast iron veranda of three bays with steeply pitched leaded hood. Arcaded front displays fleur-de-lys and foliate designs. Ground floor entrance to 3rd bay from L, beneath veranda, has 4-panelled timber door with glazed upper panels and trisected overlight. Other ground floor openings are replacement 15-pane uPVC sashes with 6-pane uppers and slate sills. Raised stucco surrounds to all openings. Corbelled sills to 1st floor windows - all sashes under eaves gablets. Paired bracketed eaves with drop moulds to angles. Aluminium rainwater goods with downpipes between each bay.
R gable end has undecorated timber barge board and blank decorative panels: arched-headed to gable, paired roundels to 1st floor with keystones to cardinal points and 2 arched headed niches to ground floor with stucco keystones and stone sills.
E front at right angles, attached to aforementioned gable end, is 2-storey plus attic, 5-window range. Replacement 12-pane uPVC sashes throughout, with raised stucco surrounds and slate sills. 3 gabled dormers containing similar sashes. Paired bracketed eaves. Lower single storey extension to R, stucco rendered. Small late C20 light to L of projecting front gable with small red brick end stack. Small lean-to extension connected to gable end, slate roofed, with small window to E end with head to eaves.
W side has 3 storey range with upper floor overlapping original gable end to L. 12-pane uPVC sashes with slightly raised painted stucco hoods and slate sills throughout. 2 windows to upper storey - L bay pierced by former gable. 3 matching openings to 1st floor. Ground floor has smaller 12-pane sashes to centre and R bay, more widely spaced. Central C20 door. L bay has larger 12-pane sash. Pitched slated roof and quoins to angles.
To R of this range is gable end to main frontage, mirroring opposing gable, but with blank openings to the ground floor rather than niches.
Rear largely obscured by outbuildings and later extensions. Tall red brick stack positioned between two dormers with gablets, slated roofs and 12-pane sashes.
Not inspected, but said to retain Georgian-style timber fireplaces and panelled timber doors. A beam in the attic has an inverted inscription reading "D. L. Esquire. April 2nd 1726" - re-set, and perhaps originally from Llysnewydd. Roof timber arrangement suggests that the facade range is the oldest portion of the present house, and formerly had a hipped roof. The truss frames are pegged.
Included, notwithstanding alterations to windows, as a good small mansion house with some fine ironwork and good detail.
Other nearby listed buildings