This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8082 / 51°48'29"N
Longitude: -4.4114 / 4°24'41"W
OS Eastings: 233851
OS Northings: 214929
OS Grid: SN338149
Mapcode National: GBR DB.X6FL
Mapcode Global: VH3LM.HT65
Plus Code: 9C3QRH5Q+7C
Entry Name: Church of St Cynog
Listing Date: 17 October 2001
Last Amended: 17 October 2001
Source ID: 25800
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated about 1 km S of Llangynog.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Anglican parish church, late medieval restored in C19, in ancient circular churchyard. Nave and chancel with parallel S nave also with chancel, the latter actually the family chapel for the Morris family of Coomb. Clear joint between the 2 naves shows the S one is added. Heavy C19 restoration by George Morgan in 1877-8 added W bellcote and S porch, ashlar tracery in windows, gable copings, and cross finials. A vestry, pulpit, lectern and memorial window to Thomas Morris were added in 1895. The N chancel was rebuilt 15' (4.6m) longer in 1902 by E.V. Collier as a memorial to T. Morris, killed in the Boer War, the vestry was then enlarged, new W window and S window to Coomb chapel inserted, new font and organ.
Anglican parish church, rubble stone with ashlar dressings, slate roofs, coped gables and crested terracotta ridge tiles. Two parallel naves and chancels with lower chancel to S range which also has S porch and continuous ridge to longer N range which has heavy ashlar W bellcote.
N range has blocked pointed W door with rough stone voussoirs and bellcote carried forward of wall face on three moulded corbels. Bellcote has ashlar sloping-sided square base and pointed opening on all 4 sides above, all gabled, the W-E gables higher with cross finial on ridge. Roof has coping and cross finial between nave and chancel, chancel roof to slightly steeper pitch. N side of nave has 3 cambered-headed windows with stone voussoirs and inserted C19 2-light tracery. Chancel N has small attached vestry with arched W door and 2 small N windows, and one chancel 2-light C19 window with quatrefoil head. E 3-light window is more ornately traceried with sexfoil head. Octagonal stone chimney on S roof slope.
S nave has W 2-light window of 1902 with quatrefoil head and hoodmould. Two inset plaques in W wall. S side C19 porch has moulded pointed arched entry and small side-wall lights. Three S cambered-headed nave windows with stone voussoirs and inserted C19 tracery. Chancel has cusped lancet S and E 2-light traceried window with quatrefoil in head and hoodmould.
Whitewashed plastered walls, collar-truss boarded roofs probably all of 1878. Plastered chancel arch of 1902 and plastered late medieval 4-bay arcade of Tudor arches, the third one narrower. The arcade was 'made symmetrical' in 1878. An extra arch added in 1902 between the extended chancel and S chancel (Coomb chapel) on a bulbous round column which also carries Coomb chapel W arch.
Fittings: Pews of 1878. Pulpit of 1895 by Jones & Willis, oak with cusped panels and foliage in spandrels. Chancel fittings of 1902 including rails, altar and floor tiles. Two fonts one of c1850 with Welsh texts on marble panels (like the one at Llanybri) and one of 1902 with much carved foliage and marble colonnettes to shaft. Coomb chapel has fine paint and matt-glazed tile (opus sectile) work depicting Nativity and Christ with Mary Magdalene, to Sir J.E. Phillips (d 1912), probably made by Powell of London.
Stained glass: E window c1902 by Jones & Willis, Resurrection with SS Michael & Martin. Chancel N 1954 by Powell of Whitefriars. Coomb chapel E 1885 to W. Morris, Resurrection, signed Cox, Buckley & Co, chapel S, St David, 1902 by Jones & Willis. S aisle W Suffer the children, 1902 by Jones & Willis. Nave N third c1913 by Jones & Willis Virgin Mary and Mary of Bethany.
Monuments: Maria Evans (d 1847) convex limestone tablet with good lettering. Thomas Morris (d 1902) brass by Jones & Willis. Marteine K.A. Lloyd (d1916) alabaster with mosaic and painted shield; Alice Morris (d1921) alabaster and marble; Owen Morris, Lord Kylsant (d 1937) alabaster and mosaic, all probably by Powell.
Graded at II* as a church retaining its late medieval fabric with late Victorian fittings.
Other nearby listed buildings