This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.8946 / 52°53'40"N
Longitude: -3.6575 / 3°39'26"W
OS Eastings: 288594
OS Northings: 334303
OS Grid: SH885343
Mapcode National: GBR 6B.PL1P
Mapcode Global: WH674.SHJS
Entry Name: Cyffdy
Listing Date: 22 October 2001
Last Amended: 22 October 2001
Source ID: 25811
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on an elevated site approximately 1km NE of Pont Llwyn-Hir; accessed from the Parc to Llanycil road via a track leading off to the NW.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Sub-medieval L-shaped storeyed gentry house, probably of late C16 or early C17 origins with later alterations and additions. A stair tower was added to the rear in the late C17, replacing a newel predecessor to the right of the former hall chimney (now lost, though implied). A possibly contemporary alteration was the creation of the present lobby entry which replaced the primary entrance to the left. The house was extended to the right in 1881, the new section incorporating a carthouse. Various unsympathetic alterations of the post-War period, particularly to openings, have recently been reversed in a careful programme of restoration works. There is a reference to the site in the medieval court of augmentations of 1550, "where upon is neither tenement nor other building."
Two-and-a-half storey L-plan gentry house of slatestone construction, the primary section (left half) of rough-dressed blocks; medium-steep modern slate roof with end chimneys to the primary house, that to the R now a central stack. Advanced, gabled wing to the L, its end chimney corbelled out slightly at the base. The main range has a masonry break clearly visible to the centre; this defines the extent of the original house, with the 2-bay flush addition to the R corresponding to the later phase. Central entrance with C20 porch having rubble plinth, glazed sides and pitched, slated roof with timber-framed gable; modern panelled door. To the L of the porch is a blocked earlier (perhaps primary) doorway with a 2-part window beyond, of 9-pane and 6-pane sections. The first floor has two 2-light 12-pane casements with a further single-light, 6-pane casement to the R. To the R of the porch are two similar ground floor windows, each with 2-light casements to the first floor above. Of the ground-floor windows, that to the L has an exposed timber lintel, whilst that to the R is within an infilled late C19 cart-bay; the wide brick segmental arch to this remains visible, and has a keystone inscribed with the date 1881. The roof has 3 equally-spaced modern gabled dormers with slated sides and gables and 12-pane casements as before; recessed end bay to the R. Single-bay advanced section with windows as before to all three levels on the R return; cellar entrance below with external stepped access and boarded door.
The rear has a full-height gabled stair projection to the primary section (R), with similar casements on two levels to this and the end bay to the R. To the L of the stair tower is a continuous slated lean-to abuting the rear of the main block. This has a part-glazed entrance to the R with adjacent 2-light window to its L. Two 4-light windows beyond, with a 6-pane fixed window to the far L. The first floor has two casements and a 4-part window as before. Three dormers to the roof, a gabled dormer to the R, a 2-light flat-roofed dormer to the centre and a long flat-roofed dormer with 4-part window adjacent to the L.
Present lobby-entry onto former hall with advanced parlour wing leading off to L; roughly-chamfered main beams to hall and parlour ceilings, with plain joists to the hall and largely C20 joists to the parlour. Modern marble slab floor to the hall. Original oak close-studded partition wall between the hall and parlour, with outer entrances having 2-light pegged, open rectangular overlights. Leading off from the hall to the rear is a late C17 oak dogleg stair rising full-height to the attic floor. This has square, plain-capped newel posts and well-turned balusters. The attic floor retains its original principals, though the collars have been removed.
Listed as a sub-medieval storeyed gentry house retaining good original external character and interior features including a fine late C17 stair.
Other nearby listed buildings