History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Viaduct over Dyserth and Cwm Railway

A Grade II Listed Building in Dyserth, Denbighshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.3034 / 53°18'12"N

Longitude: -3.4091 / 3°24'32"W

OS Eastings: 306198

OS Northings: 379422

OS Grid: SJ061794

Mapcode National: GBR 4ZM7.RJ

Mapcode Global: WH76G.L7VC

Entry Name: Viaduct over Dyserth and Cwm Railway

Listing Date: 10 December 2001

Last Amended: 10 December 2001

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 25962

Building Class: Transport

Location: Over Prestatyn-Dyserth walkway, formerly the Dyserth and Cwm branch railway, about 200 m north-west of Anglia Buildings offices

County: Denbighshire

Community: Dyserth

Community: Dyserth

Locality: Prestatyn-Dyserth walkway

Built-Up Area: Dyserth

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in


In 1869 a three-mile standard-gauge branch railway from the Chester and Holyhead railway near Prestatyn station, passing through Meliden to Dyserth and Cwm, was opened. It ran inland at a 1:45 gradient to serve the mineral trade, bringing out lead, haematite and limestone. The main user appears to have been the limestone business of W L Hobbs at Dyserth.

This viaduct, together with the bridge about 120 m further north-west which carries the Pandy Road over the railway, appear to be original and so must be dated c.1869.

The purpose of the viaduct is not apparent, but it may have been constructed to serve cart traffic from a pit about 150 m to its north-east. It is not now connected to the road system.


A bridge of three arches of about 5 m span, carrying a carriageway about 4½ m in width. The masonry is in rock-faced roughly axe-dressed work, apart from the arches themselves which are formed of common brickwork in three ½-brick rings. Slight corbel formed at base of parapet in sandstone. Sandstone coping.

Reasons for Listing

A fine three-arch viaduct of 1869 over a small branch railway, which has remained unaltered.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Limekiln 2 off Upper Foel Road
    Second limekiln from the north in a group of five surviving at the east side of Upper Foel road (200 m north of Sunningdale).
  • II Tre-castell Farmhouse
    100 m south of Newmarket Road (A5151), about 500 m east of Dyserth Village. On rising ground facing N; farmyard reached by trackway from main road.
  • II Threshing Barn at Tre-castell Farm
    Tre-castell farmyard, 100 m south of Newmarket Road and about 500 m east of Dyserth Village.
  • II Limekiln 4 off Upper Foel Road
    Fourth limekiln from the north in a group of five surviving at the east side of the Upper Foel road (100 m north of Sunningdale).
  • II* Tomb group in St Bridget's Churchyard
    About 10 m south-east of the chancel of Dyserth Church.
  • II* Church of St Bridget
    At the centre of the village of Dyserth, within a large churchyard. Stone churchyard wall with triangular coping; steel gates to west, north and south.
  • II Telephone Call-box at Entrance to Car Park for Waterfall
    Set back from the road beyond the Afon Ffyddion stream, at the entrance to the car park for the waterfall opposite Bethel Chapel.
  • II Craig-y-castell
    To south side of Allt-y-graig, 1/2 km east of Ffordd Talargoch, in a large garden. In the grounds are earthworks of Dyserth Castle and minor masonry traces.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.