This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2311 / 53°13'51"N
Longitude: -3.1837 / 3°11'1"W
OS Eastings: 321085
OS Northings: 371106
OS Grid: SJ210711
Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.0F4P
Mapcode Global: WH76Z.217S
Plus Code: 9C5R6RJ8+CG
Entry Name: Lygan y Llan Farmhouse including Forecourt Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 31 January 2002
Last Amended: 31 January 2002
Source ID: 26154
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Approximately 200m SE of the parish church, on the W side of a minor road junction opposite the Britannia Inn.
Community: Halkyn (Helygain)
Traditional County: Flintshire
A mid C19 farmhouse built for the Grosvenor Estate and first shown on the 1870 Ordnance Survey. It replaced an earlier farmhouse of the same name shown on the 1839 Tithe map. The Grosvenor family owned an extensive estate and mineral rights in the Halkyn area. Halkyn Castle was built for the second Earl Grosvenor in 1824-7 and was used as an occasional residence. The Earl was later made Duke of Westminster.
A 2-storey, L-shaped house, of rubble stone with bigger quoins, slate roof, which is hipped between the main range and rear wing, stone stacks R of centre and to the L end of the main range, and with an external gable stack to the rear wing. Openings are under lintels with hood moulds. The 3-bay main range faces SW and has a central half-glazed door and horizontal-sliding sashes. The shorter wing is also 3-bay with similar windows, except lower centre which has been replaced. Below are 2 arched cellar openings. The rear wing has a low added lean-to garage against the gable end.
The front is set back behind a dwarf forecourt wall with freestone coping and iron railings. Attached to the L side of the front is a wall with 2 boarded doors, while a lower yard wall is attached to the R side of the house, both of rubble stone with freestone copings. The rear of the main range has openings with stone segmental heads, comprising 2 horizontal sashes in the upper storey, a larger replaced casement in original opening lower R, and the original entrance within an added flat-roofed extension. The wing has an inserted rear window in the lower storey.
Listed as a well-preserved and prominently sited estate farmhouse, and for its important contribution to the historic character of Halkyn.
Other nearby listed buildings