This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3158 / 53°18'56"N
Longitude: -3.279 / 3°16'44"W
OS Eastings: 314891
OS Northings: 380639
OS Grid: SJ148806
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZJ3.X2
Mapcode Global: WH76B.LXSD
Entry Name: Entrance piers, gates and bridge to Mostyn Hall
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26263
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located at the entrance forecourt to Mostyn Hall on its SE side, the bridge carries a driveway which runs to Drybridge Lodge. A second driveway runs beneath the bridge towards the NE.
Locality: Mostyn Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
Mostyn Hall is a large country house, the seat of the Mostyn family and its antecedents since the C15. The house, mainly of the C16 and C17, was extensively remodelled by Ambrose Poynter, architect, in 1846-7. A Tudor gate-house range is located to the SW of the house and is dated 1570.
The gateway is by John Douglas, architect of Chester, and is dated 1896. The ironwork, by James Swindley, is in early C18 Baroque style.
Cruciform piers of dressed stone with large moulded capstones and ball finials on high tapering plinths. Double cast iron gates with iron openwork inner piers flanked by screens. Tall round-arched gates with scrollwork to lock rail and dog rails with spear finials; circular motif to each gate bearing letter 'M'. Ornate scrolled overthrow with finials and repousse work, probably of wrought iron, which is higher to centre and bears a shield with a lion. Square inner piers with scrollwork and domed caps with finials. The S pier bears a date of 1896. Two-panel screens in similar style with scrollwork and finials above top-rails. The gates are reached by a bridge over a lower driveway. The bridge is of rubble stone, each side with a segmental arch of stone voussoirs; continuous parapets with saddleback coping; end piers with ball finials. Wide flat deck, slightly splayed to W end, where the abutments are heavily retained to the N, the arch flanked by buttresses.
Listed as a fine Baroque style gateway by a prominent regional architect, and with the bridge for its contribution to the setting of Mostyn Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings