This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3161 / 53°18'57"N
Longitude: -3.2818 / 3°16'54"W
OS Eastings: 314703
OS Northings: 380671
OS Grid: SJ147806
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZJ2.9Z
Mapcode Global: WH76B.KXG6
Plus Code: 9C5R8P89+C7
Entry Name: North-west Range at Mostyn Hall Farm
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26270
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Forms the NW boundary of the main yard at Mostyn Farm.
Locality: Mostyn Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
Mostyn Hall is a large country house, the seat of the Mostyn family and its antecedents since the C15. The house, mainly of the C16 and C17, was extensively remodelled by Ambrose Poynter, architect, in 1846-7. A Tudor gate-house range is located to the SW of the house and is dated 1570, while further SW is substantial quadrangle of farm buildings of late C16 origin.
The NW range is part of the quadrangle of farm buildings. It was probably built in the early C17 and formed part of a large planned farm at Mostyn Hall. There is no direct dating evidence for the building, but it appears to be later than the adjoining SW range which has a C16 origin. The estate had significant and large-scale agricultural interests by the later C16: a 1576 inventory of livestock shows that the combined farms of Mostyn, Gloddaith and Tregarnedd had nearly 300 head of cattle and 30 horses. The earliest range may perhaps have been built by William Mostyn, the ambition of whose building plans is clearly evinced by Porth Mawr. Perhaps the NW range is a near-contemporary of the second major phase of building at Mostyn, carried out by Sir Roger in the early years of the C17. The original use of this range is unclear, but the 2 gabled wings to the courtyard elevation may have been stables; the main range, which is partially lofted, was probably used for a combination of storage and stock accommodation. The wings have been converted into grain silos, with minimal external alteration.
Large-scale farm building comprising long range running up-slope aligned NE-SW, with drift-way through to outer yard towards the NE end, and 2 parallel gabled wings to the SE elevation into the main yard. This building is linked by a lower range at the SW end to the former stable range which forms the SW boundary of the farmyard.
Rubble stone under slate roofs with coped gables. Elevation to yard has high voussoir-arched driftway towards R; small upper windows and 2 tiers of vents in R bay (its lower wall concealed by later pigsties). Above and L of the driftway, 2 advanced wings: coped gables have ball finials; original arrrangement of openings similar in each gable and loosely symmetrical. Three lower openings: central doorway and flanking windows to L-hand gable; doorway to R in R-hand gable. Above, loft doorway and single window in R-hand gable; central loft doorway with 2 flanking windows in L-hand gable. Voussoir heads to these openings, boarded doors to ground floor, louvres to windows and upper openings. Brick roundel in apex of L-hand gable. Later lean-to on lower return of left-hand wing. Later pigsties adjoin NE corner of the main range: stone walls and lean-to slate roofs enclosing 4 pens.
NW elevation has 2 large arched entries, the drift-way entry towards the L, and a further entrance to R of centre: both have rubble voussoirs to relieving arches over timber lintels. Three tiers of vents in R-hand section, and in central bay which also has loft entry and blocked doorway with ashlar voussoir-arched head. Further doorway with brick-arched head immediately R of the drift-way. Single window with ashlar voussoirs to shallow head and 3 tiers of vents in bay to its L. Small upper storey window in upper gable end, and vents into gable apex.
A lower range at right-angles to the SE links this building with the former stable block. This range (which appears to be slightly later than the main range) has doorway and window, both with stone voussoir heads, to ground floor of yard elevation, and single 2-light stone mullioned window above. Inserted doors in its upper elevation, but earlier voussoir-headed window, with 2-light stone mullioned window above, to R of doorway.
Not fully inspected, but queen-post and collar trusses visible. Some internal subdivision, and partial remains of C19 machinery (apparently powered by a water-wheel housed beneath one of the gabled wings).
Listed grade II* as a fine early farm range of vernacular character, but its scale and refinement of detail consistent with the importance of this major estate. Forms part of an exceptionally fine and important early farm group at Mostyn Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings