This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.3159 / 53°18'57"N
Longitude: -3.2809 / 3°16'51"W
OS Eastings: 314766
OS Northings: 380645
OS Grid: SJ147806
Mapcode National: GBR 5ZJ3.H2
Mapcode Global: WH76B.KXXC
Entry Name: Dovecote and adjoining range at Mostyn Hall
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26265
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Forming the SE boundary of the farmyard and at right-angles to Porth Mawr.
Locality: Mostyn Park
Traditional County: Flintshire
Mostyn Hall is a large country house, the seat of the Mostyn family and its antecedents since the C15. The house, mainly of the C16 and C17, was extensively remodelled by Ambrose Poynter, architect, in 1846-7. A Tudor gate-house range is located to the SW of the house and is dated 1570, while further SW is substantial quadrangle of farm buildings of late C16 origin.
The dovecote is late C16-early C17 and originally had a cruciform roof. The adjoining range, part of a quadrangle of farm buildings to the W of the house, is later but probably C17, and a porch was added to the NW side after 1871. The range was partly rebuilt after bombing during WWII.
A dovecote with long 2-storey range added to the NE. The dovecote is a short 3-storey block of rubble stone under a slate roof, with coped gables and a square ridge ventilator with pyramidal roof and finial. Central entrance to NW side, boarded door with timber lintel, flanked by infilled ventilation slits. That to R possibly within an earlier opening with voussoir head. Studded 1st floor door offset to R under segmental head of stone voussoirs. The SW gable has a small opening infilled with red brick, beneath which are signs of an earlier opening. No openings to SE side.
The long 2-storey range is of rubble stone under a slate roof. SE side has a wide gable to the R bearing a stone tablet with shield, recording that part of the range was rebuilt in 1942 following bombing. Full-width boarded doors below tablet, 3-light mullioned window above. To L, the range has 2-light mullioned windows with large panes, mainly renewed, and boarded doors. C17 moulded stone doorcase with square head to centre of ground floor leading to through-passage. Two doors and a window to R; 2 original mullioned windows to L, double boarded doors and a further window. The upper storey has 7 small 2-light mullioned windows. NW side of range has added wide lean-to porch R of centre, with pronounced stepped copings to gables, each with a tall segmental-headed window. To R is a 2-light metal casement, with boarded loft hatch above. To the L is the doorway to the through-passage, in same style as SE side. Gabled loft doorway to L with stable doors, with a metal-framed window to R and vent to L. (The former barn adjoins at right angles to the far L).
Interior of dovecote has 2 chamfered cross-beams with cut-stops and retains ledges for nesting boxes.
Listed grade II* as a fine C16-C17 multi-purpose farm building, built on a large-scale consistent with the importance of this major estate, and forming part of an exceptionally fine and important early group of farm buildings at Mostyn Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings