This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6376 / 51°38'15"N
Longitude: -4.6872 / 4°41'13"W
OS Eastings: 214143
OS Northings: 196621
OS Grid: SS141966
Mapcode National: GBR GF.STXJ
Mapcode Global: VH2PZ.P3XF
Entry Name: Saint Martin's Tower
Listing Date: 28 March 2002
Last Amended: 28 March 2002
Source ID: 26439
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at NW angle of abbey buildings, on crag above the Post Office.
Community: Tenby (Dinbych-y-pysgod)
Locality: Caldey Village
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Detached tower designed by John Coates Carter as part of the monastery buildings at Caldey and built in 1910, complete by June 1911. The building has an affinity with the Arts and Crafts work of C F A Voysey, and also demonstrates Carter's interest in concrete, with concrete external stairs and possibly structure. A clock prominent on the NW face and a chimney on the SE have been removed. More recently it has been known as the Oblates' Tower.
Tower, whitewashed roughcast, possibly on concrete, with bell-cast plain-tiled pyramid roof and deep eaves. Chimney on SE roof slope removed. Square plan, three levels, each with entry from hillside. Top floor NE has flying steps up to arched entry with recessed door on left, and 2 small casements to right. Other sides have pair of narrow loops each, NW side had a clock in centre. Middle level has NE side arched door in flush stone surround to extreme right and small casement to centre, by steps up to top floor. NW side has shallow canted oriel of 1-2-1 lights, flat top and deep roughcast lower part ogee-moulded at base, SW side has single loop in centre. Bottom level has 2 small casements to NW side and one centre pair of tiny sashes to SW, other two sides against the rock.
Said to have a few features by Coates Carter remaining inside, stairs, cupboards, altered fireplaces.
Included as a detached tower part of the overall design of the monastery, and of great landscape value.
Other nearby listed buildings