This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.516 / 51°30'57"N
Longitude: -3.2254 / 3°13'31"W
OS Eastings: 315066
OS Northings: 180391
OS Grid: ST150803
Mapcode National: GBR K56.RH
Mapcode Global: VH6F6.15Q4
Entry Name: Whitchurch Free Library
Listing Date: 31 May 2002
Last Amended: 31 May 2002
Source ID: 26715
Building Class: Education
Location: On the north side of the roundabout at the junction of Penlline Road, Park Road and Velindre Road.
Community: Whitchurch (Yr Eglwys Newydd)
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built in 1904 (dated), designed by R and S Williams of Cardiff and built by W T Morgan at a cost of £2000. Following the Public Libraries Act of 1895 Whitchurch had opened a library in a private house. In 1899 the parish petitioned the Carnegie Foundation for a grant towards a permanent library building, but this was slow in coming.
The library is built of red brick with Bath stone dressings and a Welsh slate roof. Single cell plan with lobbies at either end and the librarian's house attached at rear. Flemish Baroque style in the manner of a small C17 school or livery hall. The main elevation is in three bays with tall 2-light mullioned windows with two transoms and with vertically glazed lights above. These are separated by panelled pilasters which support a cornice and a central feature at parapet level, with an open pediment containing a small obelisk with ball finial. Under this is the date 1904 and below again a plaque FREE LIBRARY. Flanking the main building on the left is the single storey porch. Double panelled doors with light over and doorcase with rusticated pilasters and segmental broken pediment. Panelled parapet above. On the right is a single storey wing with a 2-light window. The gable ends of the main building have a tripartite window in a segmental recess, coped gables with ball finials. The rear is plain as is the attached two storey house.
The interior is now featureless as it has had a suspended ceiling inserted.
Included for its architectural interest as a characterful public building which has historic interest in the centre of the Community
Other nearby listed buildings