This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2898 / 53°17'23"N
Longitude: -4.3208 / 4°19'14"W
OS Eastings: 245398
OS Northings: 379491
OS Grid: SH453794
Mapcode National: GBR HNP0.CJT
Mapcode Global: WH42M.LKPV
Entry Name: Garage/coach house range at Plas Tregayan
Listing Date: 11 June 2002
Last Amended: 11 June 2002
Source ID: 26723
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In an isolated rural location within private grounds, set back from the E side a country road leading N off the B5111. The garage/coach house lies at the E side of an enclosed cobbled courtyard to th
County: Isle of Anglesey
C19 lofted coach house, built in 1839 and dated by a tablet over the arch at the far L(SE) end which reads: Admiral LL / 1839. Probably contemporary with the development of the adjacent Plas Tregayan, and part of the expansion of the estate at that time; built for Admiral Lloyd, the owner and occupier in the Tithe Apportionment of 1839. The estate was a substantial holding of over 158 acres (64 hectares) which employed 7 servants in the house as well as labourers housed in the servants quarters, outbuildings and Upper and Lower Lodges. The range was converted in early-mid C20; an RSJ fitted over modern double doors and a glazed canopy above, modern lights fitted into loft openings. It may be that this range originally housed the coach horses and that some of the garage openings have been widen from the former stable doors and windows. The loft may have also been used as servants accommodation.
Lofted linear range with principal elevation facing NE, away from the enclosed courtyard of which it forms the NE side. Built of rubble masonry, the principal elevation of dressed, coursed stone. Slate roof with squat gable stack at L (SE) end raised by brick. At the L end is a shallow basket arched opening with chamfered jambs and slightly stressed keystone; above the arch is a stone tablet which bears the name and date: ADMIRAL LL / 1839. To the right of the arch is a single doorway with flat arch and there is a modern casement window set under the eaves between the 2; a further 2 loft windows along the range to the R. At the R end are 4 double garage doors with stone piers between; all under a long RSJ and with iron and glass canopy above. At the end of the range external stone stairs lead up to a loft doorway in the NW gable.
Single storey addition along the NW end of the rear wall of the coach house under a catslide roof; another single pitched outbuilding has been built at right angles to its NW corner. Access to the addition is through a flat arched doorway in the NW gable, a further doorway opens into the courtyard to the rear of the range and is flanked by small paned sash windows. The single pitch roofed outbuilding now has a roof of profiled material and has a single doorway in the SW gable; principal doorway in the SE wall has flanking ventilator windows.
The interior of the coach house appears to have been modernised when the early-mid C20 alterations were made.
Included, notwithstanding alterations and change of use, as a C19 coach house which forms an important component part of the estate buildings at Plas Tregayan. Built to a coherent design along with the adjacent courtyard buildings and echoing the C19 character of the house for which they were built; together a reflection of the expanding fortunes of the estate at that time.
Other nearby listed buildings