This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1447 / 53°8'40"N
Longitude: -3.3112 / 3°18'40"W
OS Eastings: 312393
OS Northings: 361637
OS Grid: SJ123616
Mapcode National: GBR 6S.5S5W
Mapcode Global: WH779.37H2
Entry Name: Plas-yn-rhos Old Farmhouse
Listing Date: 30 July 2002
Last Amended: 30 July 2002
Source ID: 26797
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: At east side of the B5429 about 1km south of the village of Gellifor. The house is approached through a shorth walled drive, the right wall of which was part of a walled garden. In the south face of t
Traditional County: Denbighshire
A much altered and enlarged timber-framed house, probably in origin a mediaeval hall. There are several dates, all to be treated cautiously. The west cross-wing of Plas-yn-rhos appears to be of the C16 or earlier, possibly at first freestanding or more probably as the solar cross-wing of the low-eaved middle range. The apex of an earlier truss in this wing (possibly crucks - too little accessible) is visible beneath one of its present trusses, indicating that its roof has been raised about 2m. Smoke-blackening has been detected on the underside of the later timbers. A date of 1594 accompanied by a Welsh text is visible on a ground storey beam in this wing, possibly celebrating a rise in status of the family.
The raised roof of the west cross-wing was then cut into for the addition (or extension) of the main east/west roof of the house. The main range could be dated by an inscribed DG / 1611 over the front entrance (now behind the modern front of the house), although the true date is likely to be earlier. The east cross-wing contains overmantel panels dated DG / AG / 1621 (not necessarily in situ: the arms are said to be those of Plas Ashpool) and later wainscotting.
The house has been upgraded in the C20 and its present exterior character is partly dependent on Arts and Crafts features.
The house consists of a main range and 2 cross-wings plus a small west wing parallel to the main range, all roughcast and with slate roofs. The gables and larger dormers have plain bargeboards, the smaller dormers at west are hipped. There is a large axial chimney to the west of the main range and 3 other chimneys, all roughcast. Modern glazed conservatory at west, tall metal flue attached to adjacent chimney.
The main range has low eaves to front and to rear, both interrupted by 2-storey gables added in Arts and Crafts style. The north elevation features this addition including a first-storey 4-light leaded window over a parget panel. The parget panel has geometrical designs. To the right is the main entrance door, under a bracketted canopy; to the left a small modern window. The corresponding addition on the south elevation consists of 5 similar lights plus 2 in the flanks at first storey over a parget panel and a ground-storey mullion and transom window of 5 lights plus flanking lights. The parget panel on this side of the house has lozenges.
The east wing has two 9-pane sash windows, one 6-pane sash-window and a 2-light casement on the west side (facing the entrance). On the east side of this wing the fenestration is irregular. On the south gable (facing the garden) there is a 4-pane horizontally-sliding sash window. The ground-storey windows to east and south are leaded, with decorative features centrally. On the north gable there is a door only.
The west wing has four 12-pane sash windows on the west side, one now behind the conservatory. There is a single 12-pane unequal-sash window, a casement window, a small single light window and a door, irregularly placed, on the south gable of this wing.
The house is entered at the north side, a short north corridor connecting the wings and stairs. The north room of the east wing is inaccessible from the interior.
An important feature of the interior is the carved overmantel in the east wing, said to have come from Plas Ashpool, with initials DG and AG. Ogee stops on the beams of this later wing, C18 panelling.
There is an inscribed date (DG 1611) over the entrance but behind the present door, and another (1594) with a Welsh inscription in the west wing.
The house was under interior renovation when inspected.
A probably mediaeval hall house with solar wing, with Arts and Crafts style alterations, which has retained much of its character.
Other nearby listed buildings