History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Neuadd Llangathen

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangathen, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8802 / 51°52'48"N

Longitude: -4.0604 / 4°3'37"W

OS Eastings: 258274

OS Northings: 222185

OS Grid: SN582221

Mapcode National: GBR DS.RPH3

Mapcode Global: VH4J2.K0SH

Entry Name: Neuadd Llangathen

Listing Date: 30 January 2003

Last Amended: 30 January 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 80852

Building Class: Recreational

Location: Approximately 200m WNW of Llangathen church, set back from a minor road between Broad Oak and Golden Grove.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Llangathen

Community: Llangathen

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llangathen

History

Built as a temperance hall in 1906 by Mrs Mayhew of Aberglasney (details on a foundation stone). Mrs Mayhew and her husband Colonel Charles Mayhew were committed teetotallers who held Temperance rallies at Aberglasney, where they lived 1902-8.

Exterior

A Tudor-Gothic style village hall comprising a main gabled range with steeply pitched roof, shorter turrets projecting forwards at the ends, behind which are hipped lean-tos against the gable end of the main range. Walls are rendered in black-and-white style, the roof is slate. The front has 3 2-light bay windows, of which the outer are under outshut roofs, the inner with a hipped roof below a central gable. The windows have coloured glass above transoms. Between the windows are 2 boarded doors with strap hinges. The outer turrets have 4-light small-pane windows in the upper storey, below pyramidal roofs with iron finials. The L-hand turret has a foundation stone at plinth level. On the L side, the lean-to behind the turret has a central boarded door flanked by 3-light small-pane windows. The rear has bay windows and central gable similar to the front.

Interior

The main range has a 5-bay arched-brace roof.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a public building of distinctive Edwardian character and a rare well-preserved temperance hall.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.