This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9066 / 52°54'23"N
Longitude: -3.1997 / 3°11'58"W
OS Eastings: 319410
OS Northings: 335026
OS Grid: SJ194350
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.NWTD
Mapcode Global: WH78H.T6JK
Entry Name: Building at former Powder Works, Hendre Quarry
Listing Date: 23 May 2003
Last Amended: 23 May 2003
Source ID: 81166
Building Class: Industrial
Location: The rear is adjacent to the River Ceiriog, approx 150km SW of Pont y Meibion Bridge. The front faces S towards a branch of the former Glyn Valley Tramway.
Community: Ceiriog Ucha
Community: Ceiriog Ucha
Locality: Pont y Meibion
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The warehouse was built by the Glynceiriog Wood Blasting Powder Co. Ltd. in c1875 and is marked on the Ordnance Survey of 1880. After 1888, the Glyn Valley Tramway was extended to the works which became a processing plant for Hendre Quarry. The main output was granite in the form of setts, blocks, chippings, ballast and stone dust. The remains of further buildings, mainly in a ruined state, are close by to the S and W. The warehouse is shown in a photograph of 1893, where the arrangement of ground floor openings is slightly different.
Large rectangular 2-storey 7-bay building, constructed of rubble stone with large quoins under a hipped corrugated-iron roof. Round-arched openings to front and rear, those to ground floor taller. The arches have red brick dressings. Main entrance, facing S, to central bay; further entrance 2nd bay from L. Some openings are infilled with rubble stone, including central upper and 2nd from R to front elevation. Remains of 2-light wooden window frames to some upper storey openings, along with corrugated iron sheeting under the arches. Tie bars. E and W ends have no external openings.
The floor is slightly raised and some brick paving survives. The building is now open to the roof with light King-post roof trusses. The 1st floor is missing, but infilled beam sockets to the sides, and joists to the ends, mark its former position. A low stone wall divides the 2 bays at the W end from the remaining 5 bays. This smaller area has stone side benches; the rear openings are blocked with stone, except for the top R. The W end has a small blind opening with segmental head to lower storey. E end has tall blind arch to each storey, infilled with red brick above and stone below. That above contains recesses, perhaps for machinery, with a further brick-lined socket to its R.
Listed as a large warehouse retaining its industrial character and a rare survival of a Powder Works building.
Other nearby listed buildings