History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Dean's Steps

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandaff, Cardiff

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4958 / 51°29'44"N

Longitude: -3.219 / 3°13'8"W

OS Eastings: 315476

OS Northings: 178134

OS Grid: ST154781

Mapcode National: GBR K7F.6R

Mapcode Global: VH6F6.5N3P

Entry Name: The Dean's Steps

Listing Date: 30 June 2003

Last Amended: 30 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81280

Location: On the north-east side of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.

County: Cardiff

Town: Cardiff

Community: Llandaff (Llandaf)

Community: Llandaff

Built-Up Area: Cardiff

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Cardiff

History

It seems likely that the paved steps are a formal mid to late C19 improvement of an existing path which was bounded already on one side by the wall of The Deanery on John Speed's map of 1610. This shows a bridge over the stream from St. Teilo's Well at the foot of the path. The stepping will have been part of the improvements to the environs of the Cathedral contemporary with its rebuilding in the 1850s and 60s and possibly closely comntemporary with the Dean moving into the new Deanery (qv Cathedral Court) in 1863.

Exterior

Granite steps, stone paving and cast iron rails. Flight of steps with a central rail and side gutters running from The Cathedral Green down to the west front of the Cathedral. The steps are flanked by the garden walls of The Deanery and Cathedral Court (qv) which are part of the ensemble.

Reasons for Listing

Included for group value as a part of the setting for the other listed buildings on The Cathedral Green.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Garden Wall and Gatepiers of Cathedral Court
    At the north-west end of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.
  • II Garden Wall of The Deanery
    Surrounding the garden of The Deanery on the north-east side of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.
  • II Llandaff War Memorial
    In the centre of the north end of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.
  • II Garden Wall of Pendinas
    Running along the street frontage of Pendinas at the north-west end of The Cathedral Green.
  • II The Deanery
    On the north-east side of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.
  • II Cathedral Court (Nos. 1-5 consec)
    At the north-west end of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.
  • II Pendinas
    At the north-west end of The Cathedral Green and part of the important group of buildings surrounding it.
  • II Prebendal House
    Sited below the west end of the Cathedral beside the mill-stream.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.