History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gates, piers and railings to Plas Llidiardau

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanilar, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3534 / 52°21'12"N

Longitude: -4.003 / 4°0'10"W

OS Eastings: 263675

OS Northings: 274707

OS Grid: SN636747

Mapcode National: GBR 8W.ST6W

Mapcode Global: VH4FS.K3MP

Entry Name: Gates, piers and railings to Plas Llidiardau

Listing Date: 27 October 2003

Last Amended: 27 October 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81971

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated at the entrance to drive to Llidiardau about 1.2km E of Llanilar.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llanilar

Community: Llanilar

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanilar

History

Gates, piers and railings of 1876 by Roderick Williams of Aberystwyth to Llidiardau, country house built in 1854 for G W Parry by R K Penson with Roderick Williams as builder.

Exterior

Set of ornate iron gates and railings with stone piers and low walls. Two gatepiers of massive construction, single stone chamfered shafts and ashlar cross-gabled caps with star-of-David in roundels. Broad double gates with cast-iron scrollwork in lower parts, lock-rail with punched sheet-metal panels and spikes above between upper twisted uprights with upturned crescent-moon finials above top-rail. The horizontal top rail is ramped up to each hanging stile. Hanging stiles and meeting stile have cast-iron sun finials. Squared rubble stone walls with chamfered ashlar copings curve from gatepiers in opposite directions to shorter terminal piers with pyramid caps. Left wall has convex curve NE, right wall has concave curve SW. Railings have horizontal bottom rail with spikes between uprights and horizontal top rails are ramped up to main gate piers. The uprights are also twisted and have upturned crescent moon finials.
From SW pier a plainer short length of wall runs W to another pair of piers with single very broad wrought iron gate made up of angle-iron horizontals, flat-strip verticals and round rod dog bars, the main verticals and dog-bars with very crude spear-heads, a piece of very rustic blacksmith work, possibly early C20.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a fine example of later C19 ironwork, in a well-designed entrance screen.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Ty Cnwc
    Situated some 900m E of village on N side of B4675 to Trawscoed.
  • II Plas Llidiardau
    Situated on S side of the Ystwyth valley some 1.5km ESE of Llanilar.
  • II Castle Hill Lodge
    Situated some 600m E of the village on S side of B4675 to Trawscoed.
  • II Castle Hill
    Situated on hillside about 500m SE of the village.
  • II Outbuilding to N of Vicarage
    Situated some 70m NE of Vicarage at end of garden.
  • II Bryn Ilar
    Situated in centre of village attached to S end of Falcon Inn.
  • II The Falcon Inn
    Situated in the centre of the village just S of the churchyard.
  • II Gates and railings to Capel Carmel
    Situated in front of Capel Carmel just S of the village centre on the W side of the A485.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.