History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Neath River Bridge (partly in Neath community)

A Grade II Listed Building in Blaenhonddan, Neath Port Talbot

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6653 / 51°39'54"N

Longitude: -3.8092 / 3°48'33"W

OS Eastings: 274972

OS Northings: 197827

OS Grid: SS749978

Mapcode National: GBR H2.6BL3

Mapcode Global: VH4K5.XDLR

Entry Name: Neath River Bridge (partly in Neath community)

Listing Date: 5 October 1992

Last Amended: 26 November 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82090

Building Class: Transport

Location: Spanning the River Neath and adjoining the road bridge over the Tennant Canal. Reached from Bridge St, Neath on the E side and from a modern footbridge on the W side, beginning beside the A474 and cr

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Neath

Community: Blaenhonddan

Community: Blaenhonddan

Locality: Neath

Built-Up Area: Neath

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Neath

History

Road bridge, erected in 1790s to replace an earlier bridge at this historic river crossing. A timber bridge was recorded near here by John Leland in the C16, a later bridge being of timber and stone. The bridge was designed by David Edwards son of the famous bridge builder Rev William Edwards of Pontypridd and built by direct labour under the surveyor Thomas Edwards. The bridge was formerly ramped but about 1850 the NW end was raised to accommodate the building of the Low Level railway. The original line can be seen in the masonry of the bridge and the adjoining bridge over the Tennant canal. Footpaths on cantilevers were added in 1869 by the contractor William Jones of Westernmoor enabling the full 6.5m width of the original bridge to be used by vehicles. The bridge was closed to traffic in the later C20 when the A465 dual-carriageway was built and a raised footbridge constructed on it to connect Cadoxton Road with the Neath side of the river.

Exterior

Road bridge, well-finished coursed rubble stone with dressed stone voussoirs to three almost semicircular arches. Outer arches are nearly 11m wide and the centre one over 15m wide with pointed cutwaters to both sides. Later parapets with cement block coping and C20 deck, walled on NW end, now carrying a raised footbridge.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for the special interest of the late C18 bridge which is well preserved beneath the modern alterations. Group value with the adjoining bridge over Tennant Canal.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.