This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4056 / 52°24'20"N
Longitude: -4.0256 / 4°1'32"W
OS Eastings: 262302
OS Northings: 280554
OS Grid: SN623805
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.PFH6
Mapcode Global: VH4FD.5SPQ
Entry Name: Glascrug
Listing Date: 24 February 2004
Last Amended: 24 February 2004
Source ID: 82502
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on slope S of Rheidol some 1.3 km E of Glanyrafon bridge, at the end of a private track leading S from the Capel Bangor road.
Locality: Llanbadarn Fawr
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Farmhouse formerly part of the Nanteos estate. Recorded from 1597 when occupied by Morgan Lloyd, in the C17 by Rev John Lewis. John Lewis was a noted Puritan author, Presbyterian and Parliamentarian. The present house was probably built in the C18, possibly for John Edwards occupant in 1795 and until at least 1830. Marked on 1845 tithe map as owned by the Nanteos estate occupied by Edward Evans, with 235 acres(95.2 hectares).
One and a half storey farmhouse consisting of a long, low irregular range in whitewashed rubble stone with low-pitched close-eaved slate roof and end stacks, large and square to left, rebuilt in yellow brick to right. Added C20 range to the right. Main range of one and a half storeys has low plinth, roughly central entrance with boarded timber door beneath rectangular overlight of 4-panes with stone step and limewashed reveals. Two windows to left, both 12-pane hornless timber sashes with stone sills, limewashed reveals and flat heads. Similar window to far right. Upper storey has 3 eaves-breaking dormers, each with 12-pane hornless timber sash with slate sill and timber gablet, slate-hung sides and slate roofs. One situated to left between 2 lower windows, one to centre slightly to right of doorway, and the third close to the right. Crude stone corbelled eaves.
C20 extension set back to right, is painted rendered 2-storey, 2-window range with slate gabled roof, slightly steeper than main roof. Brick end stack.
Not inspected, but said to have flagged slate floor to kitchen with open fireplace, boarded internal walls and dog-leg stair.
Included as a little-altered later C18 farmhouse of good vernacular character.
Other nearby listed buildings