This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2385 / 53°14'18"N
Longitude: -4.1434 / 4°8'36"W
OS Eastings: 257052
OS Northings: 373415
OS Grid: SH570734
Mapcode National: GBR JN44.GSH
Mapcode Global: WH541.BV6P
Entry Name: Gate-house, with gate-piers and retaining wall to courtyard, Plas Rhianfa
Listing Date: 6 September 2004
Last Amended: 16 August 2004
Source ID: 83051
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back from the SE side of the A545 Beaumaris Road out of Menai Bridge towards Beaumaris.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Cwm Cadnant
Community: Cwm Cadnant
Locality: Glyn Garth
Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge
Traditional County: Anglesey
The building of the Plas Rhianfa was begun in 1849, for Sir John Hay Williams, 2nd Baronet of Bodelwyddan. The house was intended as a dower house, to provide a home for his wife and daughters after his death. Sir John and Lady Sarah Williams did much of the design work themselves, but used as their architect, Charles Reed of Liverpool, and John Rogers of Beaumaris as builder. Designed in a similar idiom, and built using similar materials, the gate-house seems clearly to be an integral part of the original scheme.
Gatehouse. French Gothic style. Faced in Penmon limestone rubble with freestone dressings, and fish-scale slate roof. Two storeyed from courtyard level, but descending to the garden level below. Square in plan, echoing the main house in its detail, including the miniature turrets which clasp each angle at first floor level. West facing elevation has archway through to stable-yard to right, with triangular oriel window cutting through eaves above. Porch advanced to left as square turret. Narrow window onto N (roadside) elevation, and paired narrow lights to S. Dormers within the roof to N and S, each with traceried lights, nail-head decoration and cresting. A later C20 flat roofed extension disturbs the original design to the E.
A pair of gate-piers adjoins the gate-house to the N: square piers with tall pyramidal copings.
The gate-house is linked to the main house by a castellated wall (through which a staircase descends). This serves as a retaining wall for the courtyard.
Listed as an integral part of the ensemble of building at Plas Rhianfa, and itself a small-scale essay in the French Gothic style.
Other nearby listed buildings