This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3305 / 52°19'49"N
Longitude: -3.3884 / 3°23'18"W
OS Eastings: 305486
OS Northings: 271170
OS Grid: SO054711
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V8FS
Mapcode Global: VH691.7P1B
Entry Name: NE farm range at Home Farm
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83101
Location: On the N side of the house.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Home Farm became the home farm of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate some time after it was purchased by Francis Philips in 1838. Its surviving farm buildings were built in the second half of the nineteenth century in distinctive estate style, and are shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. The NE range incorporated stables, tack room and cart house.
A lofted brick farm range with freestone dressings and slate roof on dentillated eaves, with 2 tall cast iron ridge ventilators. Original windows are small-pane iron-frame casements with Gothic glazing bars characteristic of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate. Facing the yard (W) is a central advanced gabled bay with higher eaves line. It has a wide segmental-headed opening, recessed inside which is a boarded door. Above it is a replacement loft window. To the R of centre is a 2-light casement window, with blocked window at the R end. To the L of centre is a blocked window and then wide double sliding doors.
In the N gable end is a 3-light casement (the central casement fallen) and a small pitching eye above with iron grille. The S gable end has a segmental-headed opening with iron grille, and blocked pitching eye above. In the rear is a central gable with end brick stack, 2 segmental-headed vents with iron grilles, and boarded door on the L where the wall is painted, indicating a former projection.
Listed for historical interest as a C19 farm building retaining definite original character and detail, part of a well-preserved farm group that makes an important contribution to the historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings