This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3302 / 52°19'48"N
Longitude: -3.3882 / 3°23'17"W
OS Eastings: 305498
OS Northings: 271137
OS Grid: SO054711
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V8GZ
Mapcode Global: VH691.7P4K
Plus Code: 9C4R8JJ6+3P
Entry Name: Home Farmhouse
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83096
Location: Approximately 200m SSE of the parish church at the S end of the farmyard and separated from the farm by a garden wall incorporating a tympanum salvaged from the abbey ruins.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
An C18 house to which a N wing was added in 1806 (date on building). It was extended at the S end where it faces the abbey ruins, after the Abbey Cwmhir Estate was purchased by Thomas Wilson in 1822. It was also set apart from its associated farm buildings by a garden wall that incorporated a tympanum of the Ascension salvaged from the abbey ruins. The farm eventually became the home farm of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate. Windows were altered in the C20.
A 2-storey house with attic and basement, of rubble stone and slate roof, with early/mid C19 fretted barge boards and yellow-brick ridge stack to the N cross wing. The 3-bay main range faces W, and has C19 openings in freestone surrounds. The entrance is in the L-hand bay, which has a replacement ribbed door and small-pane overlight. Above it is a 16-pane hornless sash window. The narrow central bay is brought forward. It has a 30-pane sash window in the lower storey and inserted casement window above. The R-hand bay is blank and has a full-height vertical joint, indicating from where the house was extended in the C19. The N cross wing has a higher eaves line and bigger quoins. In its W gable end it has inserted 2-light and 3-light casement windows. Beneath the sill of the lower window is a re-set fragment of nook shaft from the abbey. In its N side wall is an inserted 3-light window in the lower storey and, on the L side, a single-storey C19 roughcast wing. It has a segmental-headed 2-light iron-framed window with Gothic small-pane glazing, and an inserted window to its R. The rear also has a 2-light window, but only one of the iron-framed casements is retained. To its L is a replacement door. The rear gable end of the N cross wing has a tablet inscribed 'WL 1806' and replaced windows. The rear of the main range also has replacement windows. At the S end is a short rear wing with lean-to facing the rear of the house. On the S side, facing the river, the rear wing forms a continuous 2-window elevation with the S gable end of the main range. Replacement casement windows are under flat stone arches. In the gable of the main range are 3 re-set stepped shaft capitals taken from the abbey. The basement has a boarded door.
Listed, notwithstanding window alterations, as a farmhouse retaining its C19 form which has important associations with the abbey ruins, and for group value with other buildings at Home Farm that make a strong contribution to the historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings