This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3305 / 52°19'49"N
Longitude: -3.3888 / 3°23'19"W
OS Eastings: 305454
OS Northings: 271174
OS Grid: SO054711
Mapcode National: GBR 9P.V89C
Mapcode Global: VH691.6PT9
Plus Code: 9C4R8JJ6+5F
Entry Name: NW farm range at Home Farm
Listing Date: 3 September 2004
Last Amended: 3 September 2004
Source ID: 83102
Location: On the NW side of the house.
Community: Abbey Cwmhir (Abaty Cwm-hir)
Community: Abbey Cwmhir
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Home Farm became the home farm of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate some time after it was purchased by Francis Philips in 1838. Its surviving farm buildings were built in the second half of the nineteenth century in distinctive estate style, and are shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. The NW range incorporated cow house, workshops, implement store and barn.
A multi-purpose farm range of L-shaped plan and implement store and barn at the NW end. Of brick with slate roof. Segmental-headed windows are small-pane iron-frame casements with Gothic glazing bars characteristic of the Abbey Cwmhir Estate. Facing the yard (E) is a cow house with 2 cast iron ridge ventilators. Boarded doors are L of centre and at the R end, and 3 segmental-headed opening have wooden vents A corbelled central gabled loft opening has boarded shutters. Further R are a boarded door and metal-framed window under wooden lintels. The S gable end has an inserted doorway and loft opening with wooden shutters. The rear of the cow house has 8 small vents, now glazed, a segmental-headed window and doorway the L end.
The NE end of the N wing is an addition separated from the original building by vertical joints. Facing the yard (E) are wide boarded doors, and on the N side a 3-light window. Further R the original range has three 3-light windows, a 2-light window and boarded door. The gabled implement store projecting at the NW end is open-fronted under a weatherboarded gable. In its W side wall is a 3-light window. Attached at right angles to the S gable end of the implement store is a taller barn. In its N wall it has a wide segmental-headed doorway R of centre, a narrower doorway to its L and inserted doorway to its R. The loft has 2 shuttered openings and diamond-patterned breathers centre-R. The W gable end is clad in corrugated metal sheets, with the wall of a former lean-to. Attached to the S side a former range has mostly fallen and been covered by a recent metal shed. The E gable end has a segmental boarded door lower L, a similar loft door, and diamond-patterned breathers in the gable.
The rear of the N wing comprises 3 gabled bays with bullseye vents and iron grilles in the gables, segmental-headed doorways in the central and R-hand bays, inserted window in the central bay and wide lintelled doorway in the L-hand bay.
Listed for historical interest as a C19 farm building retaining definite original character and detail, part of a well-preserved farm group that makes an important contribution to the historic character of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings