This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5419 / 52°32'30"N
Longitude: -3.9394 / 3°56'21"W
OS Eastings: 268574
OS Northings: 295550
OS Grid: SN685955
Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.DYJH
Mapcode Global: VH4DV.NCSQ
Entry Name: No 2 Ty Mawr
Listing Date: 23 November 2004
Last Amended: 23 November 2004
Source ID: 83268
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately N of Church of St Michael, the N half of the farmhouse
Locality: Eglwys Fach
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Farm house, now divided into two, C17 to C18 origins, altered in C19. Shown on 1845 tithe map as cottages owned by the Glandyfi estate and in 1906 Glandyfi estate sale catalogue as Ty Mawr or Church Farm, with 4 rooms upstairs, two downstairs and wheelwright's shop adjoining. Sold with 14 acres.
House now divided into two, whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof and stone chimneys. Two storeys. Large external chimney breast with stone stack on N end of No 2 and smaller stone ridge stack on No 1, at original gable end, both with dripstones. Rear wing with stone ridge stack to No 2. First floor has four windows with thin slate sills, two casement pairs to No 1, two 9-pane sashes to No 2, the right one renewed. Ground floor of No 1 has larger window to left with heavy oak lintel and thick stone sill, then door to No 1 with timber lintel close to door to No 2, which has two small-paned paired casements to right. The openings generally are not aligned with those above. To left of No 1, under same roof, is an added section with two altered windows with brick heads of earlier openings above, set at mid-height relative to the rest of the range, due to sloping site. Rubble S end wall. N end wall of No 2 has big external chimney with stepped chimney breast. Small window each floor to right. Rear wing has outshut to N with two windows and square rubble stone stack on ridge. Whitewashed end gable with upper window.
Front room to right has two heavy beams. Narrow dog-leg early C19 stair off passage to left. Rear room has axial beam connecting to one parallel to rear of front range, over fireplace with massive timber lintel.
Included as part of an early farmhouse with surviving original features.
Other nearby listed buildings