This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5508 / 52°33'2"N
Longitude: -3.9335 / 3°56'0"W
OS Eastings: 268995
OS Northings: 296532
OS Grid: SN689965
Mapcode National: GBR 8Z.DD4D
Mapcode Global: VH4DV.R4VW
Entry Name: Ranger Lodge
Listing Date: 23 November 2004
Last Amended: 23 November 2004
Source ID: 83271
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated opposite driveway to Glandyfi Castle.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
House, remodelled in picturesque Gothic style probably c. 1847 for Edward Jeffreys, son of George Jeffreys of Glandyfi Castle. Marked on 1847 tithe map. The 1841 census does not support a gentry house and the 1833 first draft of the OS map does not show the house, which suggests that it was built from new in the 1840s, but the interiors clearly show that an older house was remodelled. It was a typical double-fronted two-storey farmhouse with outshut rear.
Known also as Glandovey Cottage, Glandwr Lodge or Glandwr before becoming Ranger Lodge by 1901. Occupied in 1851 by Edward Jeffreys, in 1861 by servants, in 1871 by his sister Georgina. Occupied by Captain Mc Bryan 1914, and C.R. Kenyon (at Voelas in 1906) in 1926.
The Glandyfi Castle 1906 sale prospectus says that a large amount of money had been spent on the house c. 1903. It then had a glazed porch and conservatory, drawing room, dining room, two kitchens, pantry and out offices, 5 bedrooms and bathroom.
House, rubble stone with deep-eaved slate roofs, red terracotta ridge tiles and three late C19 brick chimneys. The eaves and verges overhang greatly and have extravagant bargeboards and gable boards, renewed in late C20, giant saw-tooth pattern with applied small wooden lumps in each point, these mostly re-used from the original. Two storeys. Unusual Gothic cross-windows with cusped heads to top lights and small panes, timber lintels. Two upper windows under far-overhanging gables with big cusped bargeboards and applied wooden leaves in cusps, timber panels over windows. Slightly longer windows close-set to left and centre on ground floor, and large late C20 stone porch to right. Heavy Gothic half-glazed door within with traceried panels below, glazed panels above. Timber lintel. Left end wall has overhanging verges with saw-tooth boards, longer to left as rear is outshut, and one similar window each floor to right, set higher than those on front wall. Brick chimney on rear roof slope.
Range to right of main front under same roof, but probably added c. 1847 has zig-zag eaves board and later C19 timber canted oriel. Ground floor is altered, with C20 conservatory, rebuilt on site of one shown in old photograph. Right end gable has similar renewed zig-zag bargeboards and renewed end chimney. First floor window has massive chamfered slate lintel and slate crude hoodmould over similar Gothic window. Ground floor matching Gothic bay window of 1-2-1 lights with hipped metal-clad roof. Slightly stepped back to right is end of outshut with slate hoodmould over first floor cross window and cruder hoodmould over C20 glazed door.
Rear of outshut is painted rendered to first floor with two small C20 lights, rubble stone ground floor with oak lintel to casement pair. Chimney on roof slope to left. Rear outshut of main house projects further. C20 rendered and two renewed gabled dormers. C20 hipped porch below.
Single-storey range added to S end of main house has centre chimney. Rear links to two-storey outbuilding at right angles with cart entry.
Entrance hall has timber-framed wall to left, of thin timbers, continued to upper floor. Earlier C19 coved cornice on 3 sides. Arched recess on right wall in corner. Narrow late Georgian stair with steeply ramped rail, beaded square balusters and square newels. Room to left has two beams encased in plaster with coved moulding. Six-panel door. Large timber lintel to fireplace. Thick, presumably origially external wall to right of hall with 6-panel door. End room has moulded cornice, C20 chimneypiece. rear of house has two rooms at much lower floor level, oak lintels over entry to right room.
Included as a gentry house with picturesque mid C19 Gothic detail to windows and roof, apparently remodelling older house. The distinctive Gothic detail forms a group with the other estate houses: Glandyfi Castle and Voelas.
Other nearby listed buildings