History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ynys Greigiog

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ysgubor-y-coed, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5349 / 52°32'5"N

Longitude: -3.9572 / 3°57'25"W

OS Eastings: 267343

OS Northings: 294809

OS Grid: SN673948

Mapcode National: GBR 8Y.FD9W

Mapcode Global: VH4DV.CKB2

Entry Name: Ynys Greigiog

Listing Date: 23 November 2004

Last Amended: 23 November 2004

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83276

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated down drive of some 600m running N from A487 opposite Ty-hir, 1.5 km SW of Furnace.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Machynlleth

Community: Ysgubor-y-coed

Community: Ysgubor-y-Coed

Locality: Furnace

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Eglwys-fach

History

Gentry house of the later C17, recorded from C16. Owned by the Pryse family in C17, but the actual descent is confused in the accounts given in F. Jones of the Pryses of Gogerddan, Ynys Greigiog and Glanfred. Thomas Pryse brother of Sir Richard Pryse of Gogerddan married in 1597 the heiress of the Glanfred estate. He was MP 1597-1601, High Sheriff 1609 and died 1624. Her second husband may have been John Pugh of Ynys Greigiog, and they were at Glanfred in 1629 when her son Thomas Pryse, born 1598, was at Ynys Greigiog. He married Elizabeth Parry of Noyadd Trefawr, was High Sheriff 1626, living at Glanfred 1652 and died in 1681. His son Thomas, born 1633 married Susan Pugh of Dolyfonddu in 1650 and then Jane Meriden in 1683, was High Sheriff 1688 and died that year at Edge, Salop. A Thomas Pryse of Ynys Greigiog, may be the same man, he was High Sheriff in 1681, recorded as heavily indebted to his father in 1662, and a pre-nuptial settlement for a wedding to Margaret Owen of Peniarth was drawn up for him in 1676. A Richard Pryse, born 1632, brother presumably of Thomas 1633-88, married Mary James and was at Ynys Greigiog: he is said to be the father of the Thomas Pryse who inherited Gogerddan in 1720, but elsewhere this is not supported. Owned 1845 by the Rev. L.C. Davies of Ynyshir, farmed by Richard Jones. A Richard Jones died 1831 is buried in Eglwys Fach churchyard. Farmed by William Jenkins 1880, William M. Jenkins 1926.
The house is remarkable as a rare example in the region (unique in Ceredigion) of the late C17 gentry house type with windows formally set in the gable end and a large lateral chimney serving the parlour at this end.

Exterior

House, rubble stone with slate roof, the gable-end stonework raised as a rough coping. Two storeys and attic with massive stone external chimney on right of rear N side and stone E end stack. Three-window S front with mostly timber cross-windows (originally each quarter with 4 small panes, one quarter opening), three windows to first floor, offset to left, under eaves. Centre one smaller and shorter, with single pane each quarter. Ground floor windows have C19 yellow brick cambered heads: 16-pane sash to left, set to left of left upper window, fixed 16-pane centre window aligned with centre window above, but set higher (as lighting stair), and right hand cross-window, aligned with right window above. Slate sills. E end is windowless and has main entry to right, in end wall of rear outshut. Rear N is whitewashed, and mostly outshut with two small windows, one to centre, one to right, the outshut stopped before massive chimneybreast which rises from corrugated-iron roofed lean-to. Slated shoulders at eaves level of main roof and then tall tapering square stack with rough cornice. Lean-to, whitewashed rubble, was originally 2-bay open-fronted, now with broad double doors to left and C20 5-light window right. W end has tall gable rising from steeply sloping ground, the gable flat-topped. Three windows formally arranged one above the other: main floors have cross-windows and attic has triple casement, each with massive timber lintel and flat stone shelf or drip above. Slate sills to main windows, no sill to attic.

Interior

Interior only partially inspected. Entrance into outshut NE room, main ground floor E end room has large fireplace, two encased beams and squared joists. Painted grained doors.

Reasons for Listing

An important sub-medieval house, graded II* as probably the only example in the region of a late C17 gentry house with lateral chimney and formally arranged windows in the end gable.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Farm building at Ynys Greigiog
    Situated across yard to NE of farmhouse
  • II Ynys Eidiol
    Some 250metres off the NW side of the A487, approximately half a kilometer SW of Furnace, on a distinctive area of high ground above the estuarine marshes of the Dyfi.
  • II Barn and stable to E of Ynys Eidiol
    Situated above and to E of old farmhouse at Ynys Eidiol, down track to W of A487.
  • II Cae Mawr
    Situated at head of track running uphill to S of A487 from Ty-hir farm about 1.5 km SW of Furnace.
  • II Einion Cottage
    Situated on road side about 120m SW of bridge, attached to later building on left.
  • II Furnace House/ Ty Furnace
    Situated by roadside immediately W of Dyfi Furnace.
  • II* Barn above Dyfi Furnace
    Situated on slope behind the Dyfi Furnace, reached by footpath.
  • II* Dyfi Furnace
    Situated in Furnace by the bridge.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.