This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2189 / 52°13'8"N
Longitude: -3.3929 / 3°23'34"W
OS Eastings: 304936
OS Northings: 258769
OS Grid: SO049587
Mapcode National: GBR YP.270V
Mapcode Global: VH69M.4HMB
Entry Name: Howey Hall
Listing Date: 29 November 2004
Last Amended: 29 November 2004
Source ID: 83347
Location: In its own grounds approximately 250m NW of Howey village, on the W side of the A483.
Community: Disserth and Trecoed (Dyserth a Thre-coed)
Community: Disserth and Trecoed
Traditional County: Radnorshire
An early C19 villa shown on the 1833 OS and 1838 Tithe map. It was extended on both sides later in the C19 and its present plan is shown on the 1889 OS.
A late Georgian villa of 2 storeys with attic, and 3-bay front. Walls are scribed roughcast, the roof is slate on a dentilled cornice, with blue-brick stack to the L and roughcast square stack to the R. The symmetrical front has a central advanced bay, given pediment treatment with radial-glazed lunette. A later porch has a round-headed doorway with keystone, fielded panel door and plain overlight. An impost band continues around the sides where there are round-headed windows. Above the porch is a balustrade to a balcony with 4-pane sash window. In the lower storey are French windows, in the upper storey 6-pane late C19 sash windows. Set back on the R side is an added bay under a hipped roof, with 4-pane sash windows. Set back further on the L side is another additional wing with polygonal end incorporating late C19 4-pane, 12-pane and 24-pane sash windows, with 4-pane sash in the upper storey.
In the rear elevation the earlier house, behind the late Georgian villa, is in the centre, with the W wing on the R and service wing on the L behind the added E wing on the front. The main range has an added lean-to porch, and external lateral stack to its R with blue-brick shaft. Windows are 12-pane sashes, including a central stair light. The 2-window service wing to the L has a basement with boarded door and pair of 2-pane sashes. In the lower storey are triple 2-pane sashes on the R and a narrower window to the L and the upper storey has 4-pane sashes.
A dog-leg stair has plain balusters and newels. Panel doors and panelled shutters are retained throughout.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a late Georgian villa retaining definite C19 character.
Other nearby listed buildings