This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1667 / 52°10'0"N
Longitude: -3.4072 / 3°24'25"W
OS Eastings: 303852
OS Northings: 252980
OS Grid: SO038529
Mapcode National: GBR YN.5PHP
Mapcode Global: VH69S.WSMW
Entry Name: Multi-purpose farm ranges at Cefndyrys Farm
Listing Date: 18 February 2005
Last Amended: 18 February 2005
Source ID: 83721
Location: On the E side of the farmhouse, backing on to the walled garden of the main house.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Early C19 farm buildings, built in 2 phases, and shown on the 1845 Tithe map as part of a U-shaped block. The engine house is a later addition and is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
An L-shaped farm building with barn (and cattle housing) forming the N range and stable and calf pens the E range. The lofted E range is of rubble stone with tooled segmental-headed openings and has slate to the front roof slope, corrugated asbestos-cement to the rear. It has 6 doorways, all with split boarded doors except at the R end where it has been converted to a small-pane window. There are also two 2-light windows between the doorways on the R side, a single-light window on the L side, and 2 ventilation strips. The loft has 5 boarded doors under flat arches.
The slightly lower barn is timber-framed on a rubble-stone plinth, clad in corrugated iron and weatherboarding, and has a slate roof to the front, corrugated asbestos-cement to the rear. Gables retain bargeboards. Facing the yard (S) it has full-height boarded doors to the L of centre and to the R. In the W gable end, where the weatherboards have been partially replaced, is a central boarded door and loft door. On the N side of the barn is a lower engine house in the position of the wagon bay, under a hipped slate and stone-tile roof. It is open fronted and the sides are carried on stone piers, part infilled with dwarf walls. To its L is a blocked door, full-height double boarded doors and then 2 boarded stable doors with 2-light windows on their outer sides. The E gable end has a weatherboarded gable and attached rubble-stone garden wall.
The rear of the E range has ventilation strips to the loft and inserted window near the R-hand end. Below is a replacement boarded door under an overlight on the L side, 2 ventilation strips in the centre and a small inserted window to the R.
The barn has a 5-bay roof with raking struts. The engine house, designed to accommodate a portable engine for threshing, retains a line shaft with belt drives.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a farm building retaining definite C19 character, as part of a strong farm group, and for its overall contribution to the historic integrity of the Cefndyrys estate.
Other nearby listed buildings