This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9474 / 52°56'50"N
Longitude: -3.9883 / 3°59'17"W
OS Eastings: 266503
OS Northings: 340735
OS Grid: SH665407
Mapcode National: GBR 5W.L9NN
Mapcode Global: WH55N.Q50T
Entry Name: Milestone at Pont Maentwrog
Listing Date: 25 February 2005
Last Amended: 25 February 2005
Source ID: 84011
Building Class: Transport
Location: Set in the walling branching to SE off Pont Maentwrog. (A496)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Probably late C18 milepost. Merioneth was the last of the Welsh counties to have turnpike roads and it was at a county meeting in Dolgellau in 1775 that it was resolved to convert the principal tracks of the county into turnpikes, in partnership with Caernarfonshire. By the end of the C18 most of the existing roads had been brought under the Trust under the Merioneth Turnpike Act of 1777.
Stone slab milestone, roughly rectangular in shape and now painted, that bears the inscription:
(20miles = 32 Km)
MILES / LONDON / 220 / DOLGELLEY / 18 / CAERNARVON / 23 / BALA / 22 / CERNIOGE / 20 / BEDDGELERT / 10 / HARLECH / 10 / BARMOUTH / 20.
Listed as a well preserved late C18 milestone that forms a group with the adjacent road bridge and tollgate cottage at the N end of the village of Maentwrog.
Other nearby listed buildings