This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2681 / 52°16'5"N
Longitude: -3.4982 / 3°29'53"W
OS Eastings: 297857
OS Northings: 264385
OS Grid: SN978643
Mapcode National: GBR 9J.ZCC6
Mapcode Global: VH5CX.98Z3
Entry Name: Ashfield Farmhouse
Listing Date: 28 February 2005
Last Amended: 28 February 2005
Source ID: 84106
Location: Reached by farm road on the E side of the A470 and approximately 0.7km NE of Llanwrthwl.
Traditional County: Radnorshire
An early C19 farmhouse shown on the 1840 Tithe map. A granary was subsequently added and is shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey farmhouse of roughcast rubble-stone walls, slate roof and 3 stone stacks. The front comprises a 2-window main house and a single-unit back kitchen further L. In the main house the entrance has a panelled door in a wooden porch on a modern dwarf wall. Windows are hornless sashes, which are 16-pane to the R of the entrance, 12-pane to the L. The back kitchen has a similar 12-pane window. Corresponding upper-storey windows are all 12-pane hornless sashes. A cellar window is beneath the back-kitchen window. In the L gable end is an inserted window upper R and 4-pane horizontal-sliding sash window upper L. Set back against the L gable end is a lower implement store and granary, which is part rubble stone, part weatherboarded, under a slate roof. The rear of the house has a central wooden cross window lighting the stair. To its L is a 2-light iron-framed casement window in the upper storey. To the R of centre is an outshut, formerly housing the scullery and dairy. In its L side wall is a 2-light iron-framed window, of which the L casement is covered by a mesh. In the rear wall is a 2-light window. To the R of the outshut is a lean-to canopy over the boarded back door, with inserted window to its R.
The granary projects beyond the rear wall of the main house. In the gable end facing the rear of the house is a boarded granary door reached by detachable ladder stair. In the opposite gable end are double boarded doors.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved early C19 farmhouse, a type once common in the region but rarely well preserved.
Other nearby listed buildings