This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9753 / 51°58'31"N
Longitude: -3.2802 / 3°16'48"W
OS Eastings: 312161
OS Northings: 231534
OS Grid: SO121315
Mapcode National: GBR YT.KQZF
Mapcode Global: VH6BV.3M72
Entry Name: Tredomen Court and attached barn
Listing Date: 31 March 2005
Last Amended: 31 March 2005
Source ID: 84331
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 70m S of the road junction on the S side of Tredomen.
Community: Felin-fach (Felin-fâch)
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
Tredomen was a gentry seat from the C16. Sir Edward Awbrey High Sheriff 1583, 1589 and 1599. The house has a later C17 character with oak moulded cross-windows, but may retain C16 work. In church are numerous memorials to the Williams family of Tredomen, including Margaret Williams died 1759, Margaret Williams of Tredomen Court died 1789, John Williams of Tredomen and Tredustan Court died 1801, Alice Williams of Tredomen and Tredustan died 1825. Also memorials to Vaughans of Tedomen, Mary died 1779, Elizabeth died 1813, Walter died 1820. On 1842 Tithe map marked as owned by John Vaughan Esq. occupied by Evan Powell, with 232 acres (93.9 hectares). Farmed by the Williams family from early C20, William Williams 1926.
House, rubble stone with slate roof and roughcast end stacks. Two storeys and attic, four bays, with cross-windows, with opening lower casement, apart from window to right of door, which is three-light, and window over door has been blocked. Timber lintels to lower openings, upper ones under eaves. Stone sills. Four-panel door with four-pane overlight in oak chamfered and stopped surround. C19 gabled timber slated hood with Gothic pierced bargeboards. Two gabled dormers with casement pairs.
Roughcast left end wall with two small C20 windows to ground floor left.
Rear has C20 lean-to to ground floor right, then painted rubble stone rear wing with W end roughcast stack. Two storeys, with mostly C20 metal windows on S. Rear of main house has tall painted roughcast side-wall stack (in angle to N of rear wing) and deep added outshut dairy to left with boarded N end window.
Attached to N is long barn range with slightly lower roof. Two tiers of two loops, high door entry, then two bays with tall boarded openings divided by masonry pier. Straight joint to added N range with two small loops to left of plank door, two-light window to right. N end loft door. Rear of main barn is similar to front.
Entrance passage with 2-panel boarded door to left, boarded door to right, both in beaded frames. Flagstone floor. Two principal rooms, one each side of hall, and third room at N end, with staircase in NW corner, this end probably altered as big N end chimney is blocked.
S end room has two big squared beams, a third on partition. Late C17 oak panelled dado on three sides and big shouldered surround to fireplace. Deep window reveal to right of fireplace. Plank door in beaded frame to rear cellar-room, doorway widened for barrels. Massive timber in W wall. Wide doorway at end of entrance passage, with plank door, into rear wing.
Centre main room has flagstone floor, lateral fireplace on W wall with massive oak lintel. Two chamfered big beams. Cupboards to left of fireplace with panelled doors. N end partition wall has two plank doors and a third in corner, into understair space. Three-light front window is oak ogee-moulded late C17, with oak window seat.
Plain small NE corner room with another chamfered beam. Low cupboard door into understair area, where the jamb of a Tudor-arched door or fireplace is exposed.
Rear wing has S door, two big beams in kitchen with W fireplace. Dairy to N with slate dairying slabs, blocked N window, one W window, shutters. Rear stairs run up to rear of main range, with C19 square balusters. Rear range has bolted later roof trusses.
First floor of main range has evidence of alterations in SW end: piece of chamfered and scroll-stopped beam and bead-moulded uprights built in to wall to S of entry from rear wing. Entry is stone flagged. Floor level is lower in both S end rooms. Oak floorboards. Twisted beam at S end, second beam is doubled, on partition, third is massive, chamfered with run-out stop, fourth beam on a partition, fifth above landing of disused main stair in NW corner. Stair is dogleg, closed string with square balusters, the balustrade apparently C19, but the structure probably older.
Attic has very large oak collar trusses, the third with partition and plank door. Trusses are C17, chamfered on underside of collars and lower edges of principals. The end three bays are plastered.
Barn has massive chimney breast in S end wall, stepped in three times on left. Seven tie-beam-and-collar trusses. Loft in N end section and marks of a removed wall between barn and N section. N section has C19 pine joists to loft floor.
Included for its special architectural and historic interest as a substantial gentry house of the later C17.
Other nearby listed buildings