This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5675 / 52°34'3"N
Longitude: -4.0154 / 4°0'55"W
OS Eastings: 263501
OS Northings: 298543
OS Grid: SN635985
Mapcode National: GBR 8V.CB0S
Mapcode Global: WH57D.9Q5J
Entry Name: Multi-purpose farm range at Bryndinas
Listing Date: 24 June 2005
Last Amended: 24 June 2005
Source ID: 84545
Location: To the S of the house and the central of 3 parallel farm ranges.
Locality: Cwm Maethlon (Happy Valley)
Traditional County: Merionethshire
A barn and stable dated 1740, to which a cart house was added in 1762 (date on building), which was later adapted to house a granary. It is shown in its present form on the 1841 Tithe map. The building was converted to a cow shed in the C20.
A multi-purpose farm building composed of coursed blocks of shaley stone of distinctive character and quality, with slate roof, behind a coped gable on moulded kneelers to the L (W). Facing the yard to the S the barn has a segmental-headed doorway with freestone voussoirs, the opening boarded up. On the R-hand jamb is inscribed 'O AS 1740'. It is flanked by ventilation strips, blocked to the R side. Further R is the former stable, which has a fixed 4-pane window and original doorway with a recessed boarded sliding door inserted when it became a cow house. At the end of the stable is a full-height vertical joint, marking the end of the original building. The cart shed has freestone quoins, one of which is inscribed 'O GS 1762'. The cart shed appears originally to have been open to full height, as the rubble-stone infill above a timber lintel is of a different character to the remainder. Below the lintel the cart shed bay has been partially infilled to create 2 units, one of which has a door and window. In the R gable end are external stone steps to the granary doorway. In the L gable end is a roofless former lean-to.
The rear has a barn doorway, carried up slightly higher than eaves level, with boarded doors. It is flanked by ventilation strips, of which the L-hand is blocked, and further L is an inserted doorway from its period as a cow house. A later roof covers the area between the building and the cow house and hay store immediately N.
Barn and stable, now a single unit, retain 4 original tie-beam trusses with raking struts. The original gable end has a loading doorway, now opening into the granary.
Listed grade II* for its special architectural interest as an especially fine and well-preserved C18 farm building of definite character and, with the house and other listed farm buildings, as part of a strong farm group retaining historical integrity.
Other nearby listed buildings