History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rose Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Beaumaris, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2647 / 53°15'53"N

Longitude: -4.0949 / 4°5'41"W

OS Eastings: 260375

OS Northings: 376239

OS Grid: SH603762

Mapcode National: GBR JN82.70M

Mapcode Global: WH542.26BJ

Entry Name: Rose Cottage

Listing Date: 31 March 1967

Last Amended: 13 July 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84789

Location: In a row of cottages fronting the street at the S end of Wexham Street.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Beaumaris

Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)

Community: Beaumaris

Built-Up Area: Beaumaris

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Bangor

History

One of a row of C18 Baron Hill estate cottages, although not necessarily all of the same date, shown on the 1829 town plan as part of a row that included Nos 50 and 48 Church Street. Originally vernacular in character, the cottages were remodelled later in the C19 when sash windows and dormers were added to create a regular façade of Georgian character. Additions were made at the rear in the C20, except for No 4. No 4 was The Duke of Wellington public house from at least 1828 to 1866 and has a C19 rear wing.

Exterior

Belongs to a group of 2-10 Wexham Street.

Five 1½-storey cottages of painted pebble dashed walls, steep slate roof and roughcast stacks reduced in height. Each house has a central doorway, flanking windows and gabled dormer above the doorway (Nos 4 and 6 formerly had raked dormers, as shown in photographs of c1912 and 1937).

No 2 has a replacement half-glazed door and gabled canopy, and renewed 12-pane horizontal-sliding sash windows. No 4 has smooth-rendered surrounds. Its early C20 style half-glazed panel door has leaded lights, and is beneath a slate canopy on brackets. Windows are 4-pane horned sashes in the lower storey, with similar 6-pane window in the dormer. No 6 has a fielded-panel door under a gabled canopy, and renewed 4-pane horizontal sliding sash windows. No 8 is larger than 2-6. It has a modern panel door, with glazed panel, in a rendered surround with canopy on simple brackets. Windows are renewed 12-pane horizontal-sliding sashes, and 2-light small-pane casement in the dormer. No 10, the largest house in the row, has a half-glazed door with fielded panels and Gothic intersecting glazing bars, in a freestone surround with moulded cornice. Windows are 2-light casements. Attached to the L end is a rubble-stone garden wall with boarded door.

In the L gable end No 10 has a small stair light to the R of centre. At the rear, No 10 has a replacement window to the R below a skylight. To the L is a long 1-storey rear pebble-dashed wing with slate roof and C20 detail. No 4 has been raised at the rear and has a gabled 2-storey wing with monopitched projection. The rear of No 2 has also been raised and has an added 1-storey projection.

Interior

Probably a 2-unit house originally, with opposing front and back doors. The fireplace to the R has a stop-chamfered timber lintel. A single roughly finished cross beam has survived, and some original joists have stopped chamfers.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as part of a row of C18 vernacular cottages with C19 estate character and detail, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Church Street and Wexham Street.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.